Recycling toilet paper tubes

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
cknmom said:
Pam- here is a website with instructions.I haven't ever made them but have wanted to for years, just keep forgetting about it until it's too late.

http://www.oldenglishcrackers.com/make-your-own-crackers.htm

Monica
That is totally cool! How do you make them 'bang'?? Do you hit them on something to pop them open or does it pop when you undo the wrapping?
They don't really bang - but then the ones from England don't either. We got them every year when my sil lived in London.

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okay we are officially no longer throwing away the rolls, now I just have to figure out where to store them. :/

denimangle

Power Conserver
Reaction score
we have always used them as party favors . roll wrapping paper around then tape or glue. put small toys/candy in then tie ribbon around the ends ...The kids love them.
Cheryl

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Man, I just crumpled up four for the recycle bin. I like the fire starter idea.
Who woulda thought...

denimangle

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think Ill try the fire starter also .. A gift for my brother :love that cant build a fire to save his life:hide

Cheryl

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been saving them recently as I have a lot of leek seedlings waiting to go in the garden, and the TP rolls will be used to help blanch the stems.
Using them as holders over the holiday paper rolls is a great idea - too bad I don't do Christmas presents anymore :D.
Lacking TP rolls, a number of people use cardboard egg cartons as fire starters - same idea, lint and wax in each egg cup.

Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I stuff TP tubes with hay for the rabbits to play with.
They get their hay and when they are done, they have a cardboard tube to chew on and tear up.

A friend and I took the paper towel tubes, TP tubes, and label tubes from where we worked and made a centerpiece for her 4th of July party. We covered the tubes in shiny paper and decorated them with construction paper and sequins to look like fireworks.
Grouped them together and glued them to a covered cardboard circle with sparkly picks we bought at a dollar store.
It was really cute.
Can't believe we didn't take any pictures.

Jean

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I thought I'd toss out an idea my mother suggested to me. I have a lot of wires in my kitchen. I'm talking about the wires for the crock-pot, blender, toaster, coffee pot, mixer, etc. Well, you just fold them up and slide them in a roll to keep them from running amok all over your kitchen.

ETA: I do have another idea but forgot it as I typed the first one.