Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your landlord & a trailer is good for BOTH of you. :)

Sooooooooooo.....who DID throw the glove??? :hide Are you sure the "shed" was a shed??? Hmmmmm....100 yrs ago could have been a little house. :idunno Ask them to help! :lol:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Goodness, I hope I didn't disturb any more mischievous spirits today. The body count went up… I yanked on some old, rusted wires or something similar and pulled out another skull :th I think this one was a dog… I didn't look too closely after cussing it out for scaring me so :hide

The house I'm in is very, very old, so I think we can safely guess the shed was indeed a shed. Talking about help, I got chatting with this super sweet lad that works at the supermarket here and he said to let him know if I need any help. I told him "Be careful! I may take you up on that one!" lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My BIL owns an old property in CT that he rents out cabins, we used to live there. Every time they did a big project the old man ghost who used to own the property would show up and watch. Multiple people saw him and described him the exact same way without hearing each other's stories. He got told off when the BIL caught him peeking in the kitchen window, lol (and he stopped being creepy, evidently). One of the renters had an angel in the window they kept turning to face into the house and they kept finding it facing out again.

Anyway when you start digging around, things start showing up.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We need pics
I was thinking of that today actually. I need to get some more pics for you guys. I'll see tomorrow. Things are looking a bit different here since the last pics. I've made some dents in the mess lol

@NH Homesteader you're making me nervous now! lol That was seriously weird though… I thought it may have been the wind, but it wasn't blowing strong enough at the time. My gloves are rubber lined and too heavy to get blown off the wall that easily.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe when you get the tree stump whittled down you could just pour concrete in there. Just cover up all the garbage, smooth out the concrete and have a nice floor! LOL

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Some pics, as requested. I'm tackling this bit today. Got the metal half-drum out finally. That took awhile as it was held down inside and out. Finished cutting the fencing wire on that side and removed it. Sawed out some tree roots. Found a few more bones, bottles and assorted, rusted metal bits and pieces…

Now, this sheet is held down by something metal that is heavy and very stuck

img_20180413_121514(1).jpg

Not helped by the piece of tree next to my glove

As I said earlier in the thread, underneath everything there is something….

img_20180413_121118(1).jpg

None of those things are going to come out until I get that sheet off it. If I get round to it today, I'm going to try and get that metal bath behind it out as well. Progress will depend on the tree roots. The bigger ones need clearing enough for me to get to them with my saw and then removing them is another mission. But every one of the beggars out is one less to worry about :)