Restoring/rescuing a 100+ year old shed. Am I nuts?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sumi, I'm with you. There's no way I'd be able to NOT be in there digging things out! I wouldn't be able to just turn my back, and the harder it got, the more it would nag at me.
I might not get my house dusted very often, but a project like you're working on would definitely hold my interest.
I'm also thinking that through this, you are teaching your son some very valuable lessons about being hard working, industrious, and determined. I love that you're doing this where you live now. Doing it on your own property is one thing, but doing it at a rental shows a lot of character! No matter how much work there is, youre rising to the challenge. I salute you!:thumbsup

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm making very good progress today. That sheet is out, the metal thing on top of it was huge, but it's out, as well as blue thing. It wasn't a backpack, it was… something with a metal frame, about 3 feet long. That out let me get to this bag and I wasn't prepared for the contents… :eek:

img_20180413_145106(1).jpg

I'm clearing the bit around the piece of tree now, so I can see about sawing it off if needed now. More pics later…

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sumi, I'm with you. There's no way I'd be able to NOT be in there digging things out! I wouldn't be able to just turn my back, and the harder it got, the more it would nag at me.
I might not get my house dusted very often, but a project like you're working on would definitely hold my interest.
I'm also thinking that through this, you are teaching your son some very valuable lessons about being hard working, industrious, and determined. I love that you're doing this where you live now. Doing it on your own property is one thing, but doing it at a rental shows a lot of character! No matter how much work there is, youre rising to the challenge. I salute you!:thumbsup
Thank you :hugs That is exactly how I feel. I can't stop now, though heaven knows it's been tempting a time or two. But I made so much progress already :)

If I can stop finding skeletons now it would be really, really great though…

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I made a difference in there today :) First pic is yesterday's work (not much done there)

img_20180413_163305(1).jpg

The hens checking out their new digs (this is where the sheet and the blue thing and the half metal drum and all that crap was (The pics I posted this morning was of this area, this morning)

img_20180413_163325(1).jpg

The rubbish pile is getting big now…

img_20180413_163426(1).jpg

Last edited:

Farmer Connie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll try the salt and see how it goes. I really, really need that stump dead, or it's going to continue regrowing and mess up the new roof I plan to put on.
We have used a entire 40# bag of water softener salt (sodium chloride) on a stump in the distant past. Pic axed a few holes close to it and filled them up. Takes awhile but worked. Less than $5 U.S.

Farmer Connie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Very slowly! We had some rain over the weekend, which kept me indoors, and I went to Kilkenny yesterday, so I didn't get much more done, except removing the rest of the cut wood and bringing it down to the house and do a little cleaning up. I managed to free and remove one of the corrugated sheets and found a lot of broken glass, some bottles, metal pots and a dish (rusted through unfortunately). I'm planning to go out and work some more on it today.
An archeological expedition or chicken house project or both?
:lol:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We have used a entire 40# bag of water softener salt (sodium chloride) on a stump in the distant past. Pic axed a few holes close to it and filled them up. Takes awhile but worked. Less than $5 U.S.
Thank you. I need to go to the creamery (co-op) and see what they have for sale there. They should have some of the things you all suggested here. But first… I am going to personally have a great go at that thing with a chainsaw. I lost my balance earlier and fell against the piece of tree I keep mentioning. Gave my arm a very good hit. Once I'm done I'll make a few holes in there and poison it, so it doesn't grow back again.