ROOSMOM'S JOURNAL

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am at work. It has basically been quiet. All us coworkers doing a little bickering (picture the chickens, lol). Half hour to go. Off tomorrow for eye exam and a digital mamm at the next town over.
Go home, set up lights in coop and run. See how that works. Gather eggs, visit with my chickies, relax. Have Coffee. I only drink a second cup on fridays and saturdays, so today will be a treat.
Pork chops for dinner and dont forget the applesauce.

I just want to say THANK YOU all for not talking about the election. Everytime I did I got a tight band around my chest. Now it is all over, we can just wait and see what happens. Thank-you.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you Keljonma. He is beautiful. He needs his own movie......"A Chicken and a Gentleman" lol.

I put a red lite in the coop tonight and what a difference. There was no bickering, no fighting, they werent hiding from the bright white light anymore. Laying around on the floor relaxing.
I thought I hit the jackpot but someone at BYC mentioned that my egg production may go down so I am going to monitor it. I hope not, then I will have to figure out something else.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thurs - Eye exam took an hour and a half. Need glasses. That is fine, I have never worn prescription glasses so I am due.
I had hoped that the digital mamm was going to be easier on me but no such luck. It is just as much of a squeeze as the old way. I guess only ultrasounds are easier.
Fri - Worked. Then rushed home to make pasties like I said in Annmaries post *What did you do to save money today* so here are pics of the pasties being made. YIPPEEE my crust actually turned out (forgot the salt tho :rolleyes: )
316_pdr_0712.jpg

This was my attempt at rolling the dough out LOL
316_pdr_0713.jpg

This is the 1/2 cup filling.
316_pdr_0714.jpg

This is the pasty with the crust flopped over on top.
316_pdr_0715.jpg

This is the unbaked result. I had a pic of it baked but must have deleted it accidently. Oh well you get the idea.
I think I ate more dough then I put into making the pasties :rolleyes:
I love pie crust.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Saturday AM, here is the pic of the chicken my hubby got me for my birthday, now I can have ROO in the house all the time. He is also adorable. I also made a decision, if I can afford it, I am going to get ROO taxidermied when he passes on. Sick eh? I am going to have him done in a laying down position so he can lay on a blanket in the liv. room. Too much info?
316_pdr_0717.jpg

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cool pics watching you make the pasties. I like pics...LOL

yea I am glad we didn't chat much about the election too. got old real fast and so many views, we surely can't get all the info out in a post that we want to say, so avoiding it is best..LOL...I agree

now I want to see what the future holds also? only time will tell! :)

you need glasses? I will too probably. I have to go cause I am using those mag glasses from the dollar store, I can't see anything LOL...time for me also. I SO DON'T like hitting 50 in a few years..HA HA

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Was it you FC, that said you dont really like pie crust? I so love pie crust. I was checking out your pics of you and DH. You are a good looking woman (so stop being so hard on yourself), your family is good looking too.
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
Dont put off getting the eye thing taken care of. At least if you need prescription glasses you will have them to use. My thing was, I had heard that using glasses too soon will make your eyes not want to work, or make them weak faster, so I didnt get them for three years. I still do not plan on wearing them if I dont have to.
Thirty was really hard for me, go figure. I went into a depression that I think lasted about three years. Its mostly gone now LOL.
Well gotta get to work, have a good day ya'll. :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
SOOOO jealous you can make pie crust. I have tried every "no fail" pie crust recipe out there and failed! Just can't do it.
I had to get glasses after turning 40. I had to finally admit that I really could read small print anymore. It wasn't just a little fuzzy, it was a blur. Oh well. I'd always wanted glasses as a kid and didn't need them then. Too bad the cool cat's eye frames my best friend wore are no longer in fashion!

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great job on the crust! It works with or without the salt, but it's gonna be even more mmmmm with!!
Glasses arent that bad! I've worn them since I was 14 yrs old, and get new ones almost every year...my eyesight is actually improving as I get older in some respects....
I totally support you having your stuffing the Rooster! Keep him forever!! Thats so cool! I wanna see it (although thats sad, the thought of losing him :( but its gonna happen some time)
That stuffed roo looks the perfect size to dress up, I can just picture it in a holiday outfit, seasonal outfits and all.......
Have a great weekend.....
(We're away from home in Sacramento at my MIL's for our Anniversary, Im using my laptop/wireless, just checking in for a few)
Tina/tfpets

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: tfpets, I absolutely am not putting outfits on my stuffed roo.

I made bread today, Buttermilk bread. Just had a pc and it is just the way I like it.......Heavy. I love heavy, yeasty bread. Also today, I cleaned the laundry room and dining/kitchen area.
I have tried to make the sourdough starter again. I re-read the instructions and I think I know what I did wrong. So I fixed that and then built a fake cardboard wall so my starter will stay warm too. Under the lights......Here are some pics of the wall.....

This is the light above the bread behind the fake wall
316_pdr_0731.jpg

this is the wall covering half the light strip
316_pdr_0733.jpg

this is another aspect of the wall....it has the thermometer stuck in it, notice the temp is 80. I hope that doesnt hurt the starter. we'll see.
316_pdr_0738.jpg

keep our finger crossed LOL.