ROOSMOM'S JOURNAL

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Your pie crust looks great. I actually enjoy making them since they come out pretty decent now.

Did you post the recipe for your pasties somewhere?

LOL about stuffing your roo. My DH says he wants to do the same for our 3 doxies that are in the house. :lol:

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AND here is my buttermilk bread.

Just out of the oven, after I buttered the top
316_pdr_0740.jpg

and here is the first piece cut!!!
316_pdr_0742.jpg

I cant wait to make my cinnamon rolls!!! mmmmm, only at christmas. Some people call them sticky buns, but I know them as cinnamon rolls. They do not have any frosting, mmmmmm. have to stop thinking about them now. :|

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
punkin said:
Your pie crust looks great. I actually enjoy making them since they come out pretty decent now.

Did you post the recipe for your pasties somewhere?

LOL about stuffing your roo. My DH says he wants to do the same for our 3 doxies that are in the house. :lol:
You know what they say...looks can be deceiving. It tasted ok, just not flakey.

Dh wants to do that too eh? Mine laughed at me when he saw that and then told me "I highly doubt you are going to want to taxidermy him after 20 yrs." Someone told him they live that long :rolleyes:.

I dont really have a recipe. Have you ever had pasties? They are very good.. I can give you a good idea and you, the great cook you are can take it from there, OK?

9 small potatoes-partially cooked and cubed
5 large carrots-shredded
1large onion-minced
2 pork steaks-ground up
1 medium beef roast-ground up

pre cook the meat (with your choice of seasonings) til almost done. Add onions......then after a few minutes add potatoes......then after a few more minutes add carrots. Turn to low.

Somewhere in doing all this you made enough pie crust for 15 pies crusts, LOL.

Roll the pie crust out to the size of a corel dinner plate. Then do like in the pics. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. All you need to do here is brown the pic crust, everything else is cooked already. Let me know if it works out and if you like it. Oh yeah, you can add rutabaga. I would do just one of you do. Maybe shred it? See I dont like it and it gives my DH heartburn. So I dont put it in. You can serve this with gravy (very good) or with ketchup. DH also likes horseradish :rolleyes: with it LOL.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow that was some great looking bread! the cut piece looked so yummy!

yea I don't like pie. Hate pie and pie crust...LOL...maybe, 1 time per year I might eat 1/2 piece of cherry pie at Thanksgiving or something....just never a fan for some reason. Now Tony, he can inhale a whole pie in under 10 seconds..HA HA

I heard what you heard...that putting off glasses and such was better in the long run....but sadly I am squinting to see how, things are so hard to read, so it is time. gotta give in I guess..LOL...time to say "uncle"--LOL

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
NEVER SAY DIE FC lol I will still be going wo glasses when I dont need them. The eye dr told me that this is the point I am at, What I am doing is making my eye muscles work really hard. So when I do put on the store bought glasses my eyes go, :ya WOW, this is nice, i dont have to work as hard.
Then when I take the glasses off my eyes say, HEY :barnie what happened? i was just getting comfortable lol.

Then :he I get a headache.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, snow on the ground this am when I got up. about 2", snowed off and on all day so far.
Had to laugh at the chickens, I let them out this am and after they got about two feet into the snow they stopped and looked (yes they can) puzzled. Some went back to the pen, some continued on to me (I had the treat ya know lol) here is a pic of them later after a day in the snow
316_pdr_0749.jpg

I went this afternoon and put plastic up around the pen. My hope is that with the plastic around most of the pen and a tarp over the top.....It will stay dry in the pen and I will not have to lock 44 chickens into the coop :ep all day while I am at work.
Here is a pic of the pen
316_pdr_0752.jpg

See the round melt spot in the metal roof? That is where my 50 watt flood lite is. All my lites I have in the coop and run are on a timer. They give the chickens 3 more hours of light, but allow them at least 10 hrs of dark.
I will still worry about them freezing to death. :rolleyes:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Oh my. Only one of my chickens has seen snow before and she hates it! I wonder how they will all react!

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My chickens have weathered frequent freezing temps together in tarp covered kennels, BY CHOICE..I've tried to get them to stay in the wooden coop building, but they insist on going out in the covered kennel/coop on their outdoor roosts. They have nicely feathered bodies, and roost together out there, and apparently I worry about it more than they do? My husband says if it gets too bad, we'll force them to come inside and shut the door! Stubborn birds!
Good luck, but I think chickens can probably tolerate more cold than we are comfortable with.
Tina/tfpets

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is a rant.

I love my brother. Dont take this wrong, I love my brother
And sister. My brother moved to Detroit and started working
At GM. He has lived down there for 32 yrs (?). We have always
Known that he wanted to move back up, I would too if I lived
Down there, lol. So 4 wives, 4 kids later he has now retired and
Has been coming up here to find a house to buy on a Limited
budget. WE KNOW WHAT A BUDGET IS DONT WE SSers?
Anyway, he has been coming up all summer off and on with wife
#5 looking for a house. They put bids in on three of them and they
were turned down. He called my dad and wanted my dad and hubby
to go check the last one out. Hubby couldnt go so my father went
by himself. He told brother that it was acceptable, needed work but
to go ahead and put a bid in on it. So they put a bid in on the last
one in the price range they could afford and it was accepted.
My brother is used to traveling up here at night, kids are sleeping
And traffic is less at night. I understand that, BUT he doesnt travel
With kids anymore. He still shows up at 1-2-3am. He called and
Told us he would be here Monday cuz they were signing papers
On Wednesday. I was worried, what if he showed up that late here. I
Have trouble sleeping as it is, once I wake the brain up I cant shut
It back down.
Well he showed up at quarter to nine, thank god. They visited until almost ten (my bedtime!), I gave them the keys to my parents then they went out there. As we had agreed, we would all meet (Tuesday) after I got off work (hubby is laid off again), at my parents house so we could all go over and John could tell him what needed to be done on the house.
That was all fine. LOTS of work to be done. My brother is way
Overweight with two bad knees and a medium sized hernia. They will not do any surgery on him until he loses weight. BUT in the meantime he cannot do any job that requires bending, kneeling straining. That pretty much rules out him doing most of the work that needs to be done on this House :barnie . That leaves my hubby and I doing it. If he asks, we will HELP. Not do it all. ANYHOOOO
We looked at the house, took pics, I invited them over to look at pics on computer and for dinner. They came, ate, looked at pics. They left At 930. We went to bed at 10pm. Here is the good part.I am so angry and tired.
At 12 midnight hubby and I are woke up when we hear a loud
banging on the door, then someone comes in :hu . We both get up and go out..there is my brother. He SAYS he locked the key in my parents house and cant get in, they need my key. I ask him what he is doing out at midnight. He replies THEY TOOK THE DOG OUTSIDE AND GOT LOCKED OUT :he . WHAT WERE THEY THINKING LOCKING THE DOOR WHEN THEY WERE STILL IN THE YARD, AT NIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE.
:rant ANGRY, ANGRY, FRUSTRATED
I promised my parents I would watch their house while
They are gone (she dropped a cig and burned a 3 spot
On moms carpet). I promised my parents I (we) would
Help them. I dont know if I can, I dont know if I can
Be his sitter. And her sitter.
My brother has been.not nice to my kids in the past
If he says even one wrong word to my boy I will blow. If
He thinks that my hubby is on retainer, he is wrong. He
Thinks he is going to take over my hunting blind, HA, he
Has another think coming. GRRRRRRR.
OK I just need to shut up and deal with it.....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
animals--chickens and all can weather harsh weather as long as they are out of the wind and under cover.
my 400 have no lights, no heat, nothing like that ever.
they are best left without that type of situation.
survive fine.
basic shelter and warmth from bedding etc.
don't ever worry about critters. WE put the must have heat and warmth etc. values on them while nature never would.