Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Its all that goat chasin', Quail!! :lol: Puts a man in a bad mood, I'm sure! :D
Whatever :smack

rotfl what's he think I do when he's at work all day? :gig

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I process my own deer and rarely have a problem with the gamey taste. Trim all the fat and throw it out, gamey tastes resides in fat. Trim the outer tissue (fascia) off the muscles, it is a lot of work but the gamey tastes resides in that tissue. Don't use the neck of a buck in rut. I usually end up throwing out the lower legs, the muscles there are skinny and it is too much work to trim off the fascia.

That is what works for me.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Yeah....that's my least favorite time of the week too, Roo...going back to work! :( Let me know about how your tanning comes out. I would like to try this with any sheep or deer skin I come by eventually. I know there are chemicals you can order for doing tanning but I'd like to find a more natural way of doing it, besides just salting it. I would like to keep the fur on one side!
I am kinda excited about trying this....but I am also worried that I wont have the time. I mean, what if I get halfway thru it and find out I have to go to bed cuz its late? Yea kinda worried.
But, I will sure keep everyone posted. I have always wanted to do tan hides so I could *said with a dreamy look in her voice* make fur blankets, fur boots and gloves, buckskin dresses and boots also. LOL
This recipe is definitely without chemicals, LOL.

Is that sneaky goat still botherin you QA?
an evil look comes into her eyes as she says
QA, Do you want me to come over and help? I will load up the gun and be right there. lol

We do trim off all we can Dacjohns, but I will try trimming more. Remember.....I am canning this meat, I am holding out high hopes that I can change the taste with the beef fat and pork fat. praying, praying

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday, as I was finishing the last of the "cleaning the freezer out" job, I came across a pkg of 5 chicken thighs and a gallon baggie of unknown meat. HMMM, I threw the chicken and the unknow meat into a lg pot with water and set it to boiling. 4hrs later, I started my carrots, onion and celery in another pot with potatoes too. I strained off most of the meat broth, tore apart the meat then added it to the vegies. I threw in a stick of butter, salt and pepper. Last I added noodles. It was actually really good for mystery meat, LOL.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
roosmom said:
Is that sneaky goat still botherin you QA?
an evil look comes into her eyes as she says
QA, Do you want me to come over and help? I will load up the gun and be right there. lol
Well, I've heard they taste just like deer, so c'mon and teach me how to dress 'em out :p I'll send a slab of goat home with you as a Thanks! :lol:

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gosh guys, so glad this is such a simple place, and you're all so patient. I cant keep up with this fast paced world, my mind wont let me, and I love being able to join you here, wanted to stop in real quick and thank you from my desk at work!
Got quite a shock when I first started reading - didnt think ya'll were the sort to go out to a tanning place and such...not my cup of tea...really...all the more power to you! Had to read a bit further before it connected that you were talking about animal hides! I used to work with leather, thats more like it!! :D

QA - Goat tastes Fine! My friends from across the border eat it all the time, regular fare! Nothing like Pazole made with goat instead of Pork! :D

Glad to hear the mystery meat/meal was good. Around my house, it's usually followed by mystery toilet time...so we try to stick to identifed food now. ;)

Tina/tfpets

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TFPETS, the weekend is over and now I want to tell you something. Before the MS, I was fine....Now tho, just to make it quick and nasty.....
I cry at the drop of a hat, I never used to cry (not reallly)
I cant argue properly anymore, I never used to lose (not really)
I sometimes cant find the words, I have always had a good vocabulary
I get angry at the drop of a hat, I used to be very even tempered

There have been a lot of changes in me......I know there are people who will say that MS doesnt do that, but I know myself.....I am not the same, not the same at all. I am struggling to find myself and I cry about that. I miss me.......I liked me. THIS is the worst part..........

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
roosmom said:
TFPETS, the weekend is over and now I want to tell you something. Before the MS, I was fine....Now tho, just to make it quick and nasty.....
I cry at the drop of a hat, I never used to cry (not reallly)
I cant argue properly anymore, I never used to lose (not really)
I sometimes cant find the words, I have always had a good vocabulary
I get angry at the drop of a hat, I used to be very even tempered

There have been a lot of changes in me......I know there are people who will say that MS doesnt do that, but I know myself.....I am not the same, not the same at all. I am struggling to find myself and I cry about that. I miss me.......I liked me. THIS is the worst part..........
Then it does change you not just phsically? Or would you say it is physical issues that bring on the emotional issues? I cannot explain it to my Doctors :( without sounding nuts.
I swear, my thought processes are different - literally. I am still myself, mostly - but not myself. I actually dont cry, but more than I used to...I cant argue verbally, but I can still put a cohesive court report together. I try to keep it simple "less is better" but I HATE being put on the stand. Any more, my set answer would have to be "I dont recall" or "In my opinion" which bites! I frequently mispell words, especially in writing - like here on forums - and I used to be a spelling expert - as a child I won Spelling Bees - Even made it to #12 out of #200 in San Diego County once! And I get angry now too - my family calls it communicating loudly!

I wish there were something that could bring you back to who/where you want to be :hugs
Just not knowing, but thinking it MAY be MS is not good. I will listen any time you need - this stuff seems to take over so much of what/who you are...and yet, you can keep going - finding yourself, it will be very very hard...you're there, just different - If I stay different, I guess I'll have to learn to like parts of the new things about me? Like I said, at least I cant dwell on it, I'm too scattered and forgetful!! Take care Tina

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
See.....I want to cry because SOMEBODY GETS IT.
No, I dont think the physical changes have wrought the mental and personality changes. But, I will never let the physical stuff stop me from living my life to the fullest.