Savingdogs-Saving the chickens

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I don't suppose it counts that I just gave the darn coop its big giant spring clean and scrub down. ..........:th

S

sunsaver

Hey, Savingdogs. How many chickens do you keep? 2 reds keep me in as many eggs as i need for myself.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
Hey, Savingdogs. How many chickens do you keep? 2 reds keep me in as many eggs as i need for myself.
I tend to agree here as well. I have 5, since I gave my D1 another hen, and we have plenty of eggs here.

By the way - NO. I am sorry but I would be cleaning it again. :(

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
the coop holds about 20 and I sell eggs, i do pretty good, we sell more than we eat. We have had anywhere from 12 to 25 chickens, right now 11 adults and 13 chicks.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well all together, we hatched four chicks, two the first day and two yesterday, two buff orpingtons and two crosses RIR/BO. I'm keeping the incubator on today still although I think at this point it would be surprising to see another hatch. I did think I saw some of the EE eggs moving so I'm surprised none hatched. I got 4 eggs hatch out of 41, not a great number, so we will have to review our technique. I think we did not have a constant enough temperature as our problem number one. What would cause them to die on the final day? because I think that happened to at least two of the green eggs. i do know that charlie did not prefer the EE hens so it is possible they were not all fertile. My hen to roo ratio was rather high (19 hens to one roo at that time).

Tomorrow I plan to clean it out and air it so I can get it warmed up to start ducklings next. I have one drake and two hens and I KNOW he fertilizes them both. He is the one I'm thinking of calling Marvin (Gaye).

One of my ducks was injured last night! We can't figure it out. The pen looks intact and we see no signs of break-in, but she has a bloody streak down her side. She is extremely stressed when I try to examine her (my ducks have never gotten friendly) and I see her walking, eating, drinking and pooping, so I'm not extremely worried, but she had SOMETHING happen to her. The other ducks are leaving her alone. Her face and bill look scruffy and dirty and she just looks funny, like something happened and she is scared.

I did see a hawk fly over early this morning really low, I wonder now if it tried to pick her up?

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wonderful pics, really like the fence. Have to say though your granddaughter is an absolute doll!

I just finished a hatch and didn't have very good results and when it was over I opened up the eggs and they were fully formed but failed to hatch. I blame my problem on humidity issues. Congrats on the four that did make it.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm hoping I have better luck than you. The problem I've been having is keeping the temp constant. I'll have it set right, it will keep the temp fine for a day or 2, then I'll check it, and it will be too high or too low! :barnie I just candled mine, and w/the exception of a few that I can't tell for sure, they all look fine. So, here's hoping!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
i was fine until the weather warmed up and the room got hotter.

I was reading in a chicken book that you should only incubate in the spring? I wanted to say to the authors, why?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I wished you'd had more incubation sucess........ours at school did awesomely 23/35.