Scrounge any good things lately? I did!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
From FreeCycle, I got 12 seven gallon buckets and 6 ten gallon buckets. As well as a metal shelf for storage in the food pantry and 18 cement blocks for the base of my cob oven project this winter.

I always receive so much more than I could ever give from these amazing people.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
I was mentioning somethings I was looking for to one of the mom's at church that just had a baby...in front of the nursery coordinator and she said that if I made up a list that she would put it in all of the diaper bags of the mom's in the nursery. WOOT!! I gave her my list Sunday morning so I am hoping she did as she said she would. I am going to print off more of my list and give it to some of my friends that do not have little ones but, probably have some of the things on my list....like canning jars, marbles (for the kids to use in their sling shots), receiving blankets (to cut up and make wipes and tissues)....etc. I put like 15 things on my list! Now, I am just hoping people will start bringing it in!
One lady already brought me a couple of receiving blankets so I have a small stack of wipes and tissues already made. I used a serger machine that a lady from church gave me to serger off the edges!
Way to go ! :ya

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Dixiedoodle said:
A few weeks ago, a friend who is redoing a cottage style house, asked me to go with her to see what I thought of it.. While there I commented on a beautiful pair of French doors and windows that matched. She said she was going to throw them in the dump....I grabbed them up. They are in perfect condition--even the putty/glazing is not damaged.. They have brass hinges and knobs and are beautiful.

Then last week my son in law, calls and asks if I need some chain link fencing..Oh course I said yes, He brings me about 1000ft of chain link fencing, some posts, several gates, and hardware cloth.. There is a house that has been vacant for a long while and it was going to be torn down--and he was told he could have anything that was left in the house or on the property... So today he brings 6 shelving units 8' long 2'wide and 6' tall. solid wood, bolted together.. Where I will put them I have no idea but even dh was a happy camper..

Dixiedoodle
You scored big :clap I thought I was good but . . . You even have other people doing your scrounging for you :bow

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Went to the flea market yesterday
Got a spare Booster seat for $5 its in great shape and has two cup holders.
Also picked up some nice polo shirts for my boy for 50 cent each
also got a great deal on some locally grown veggies

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We were driving by a guy's house yesterday just as he was leaving a bunch of stuff on the curb to throw out. Got a Homelite chainsaw!!! FREE. Even if the motor is bad, the bar and chains that came with it are good, and will fit our other saws. That alone is worth about 40 or 50 bucks!

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was doing a job for an 88yo lady and when I finished, we got talking about gardens. I asked her if she canned :rolleyes: as if I didn't know. She said she did a lot in her younger days but hadn't done any for 15-20 years. Of course I had to ask, " Do you still have your equipment?" She did give most of it away some years back but she still had some jars in the basement. 42 pint jars to be exact. Guess where they are now? :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Here's an oldy but a goody....still relevant. Any good scrounges lately? :D

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
haha, does it count if your brother has left all kinds of stuff (junk) every where you look, then up and took off leavin his mess and then you procure the junk little by little? Cuz if so i have scrounged up plenty this last month, and repurposed a lot of it. :D Got loads of lumber, sad to say most of it he let rot before using it tho. Oh and he left a huge pile of tires, that im gonna use for planters this summer

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
YES! Reusing junk that someone didn't appreciate enough to keep is the basis of a good scrounge or dumpster dive! :D I can't begin to tell you how many times I've benefited by someone who didn't know or care what they had....then I took it home and used it for years. There are few feelings as good as the one you get from seeing value in something that the original owner could not see. It almost feels like winning a game.

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yea it is a really good, feeling, seeing what all is possible with everything left in the weeds, and mom and dad are happy i'm cleaning up the yard for them, haha, and they love my enginuity. I plan on going around the town and asking people if they want there yard cleaned up, especially if i can see some things i can use, maybe that way i get paid to take there junk ;) :D haha, couldnt hurt to try