Scrounge any good things lately? I did!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I hope to read what you guys have written, but I only have time right now to say YES! I found a whole bunch of canning jars, a 3 L glass jar, and a nice glass pitcher with a plastic top for storing liquids in the fridge. These were all bought at a thrift store, so I don't know if it qualifies as "scrounging" per say, but I was having a hard time finding these sorts of items before.

Which reminds me . . . time to hit the thrift stores if there are reasonably priced ones in your area. People are making end-of-year donations right about now and so there is a lot of new stuff to find. :D
I never find much of anything, ours is in a college town and Goodwill is over priced.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
she is april 15
tax day s---so easy to remember.
so you april gals stick together huh? LOL

yea I am sure, unless I hit a stellar deal, Nicole's will be a metal one......heck, that is what I grew up with and played on it all the time!

I think all things in this world are "taken too far" sometimes. Some of those "super" swing sets are just insane....especially the price! LOL
Just found this link again, not sure how I missed it in my massive email mess. Yes we April girls need to stick together! We have to be careful with metal swingsets here as they are too hot in the afternoon to play on.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
3 of my ducks were free and the one I bought was only $6. Since I am getting 2 eggs/day, they will have paid for themselves in no time :D

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, a friend who is redoing a cottage style house, asked me to go with her to see what I thought of it.. While there I commented on a beautiful pair of French doors and windows that matched. She said she was going to throw them in the dump....I grabbed them up. They are in perfect condition--even the putty/glazing is not damaged.. They have brass hinges and knobs and are beautiful.

Then last week my son in law, calls and asks if I need some chain link fencing..Oh course I said yes, He brings me about 1000ft of chain link fencing, some posts, several gates, and hardware cloth.. There is a house that has been vacant for a long while and it was going to be torn down--and he was told he could have anything that was left in the house or on the property... So today he brings 6 shelving units 8' long 2'wide and 6' tall. solid wood, bolted together.. Where I will put them I have no idea but even dh was a happy camper..

Dixiedoodle

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That sounds great. DH and I have been discussing making a semi-recycled dog house out of an old satellite dish. It's one of the solid fiberglass types about ten feet in diameter. I'd like to make one house for our five dogs, insulated, with some of the paint can heaters.

Well, I have found some bargains lately at thrift stores. The most exciting thing to me is that they are things I was really looking for and it's just odd to see what you really need at the thrift store. I found a large pizza stone for $2.00, a drawer divider, several plastic containers for under-bed storage at a good price, and a few movies for 75 cents each.

Now if I can just find a way to get a chicken coop and chickens.....

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I got a new(new for me anyway) rotory dryer as mine finally completely broke. My parents next dor neighbors had one leaning against the side of their house for the last few yrs & my dad went & asked if I could buy it from them & she said she did not even know it was there & that I could just have it!! Ds#1 will bring it to me this morning when he comes out. I still need to remove the second side of line before I take the old one out of the ground.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
My DH got a real heavy duty vise last week. It was laying in the corner of his brother's woodyard shed. Don't even know where it came from. It opens about 18" wide. Retail on that think is about $350ish.

He is going to bolt it to the huge steel plate work table someone else gave to him.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is a great thread, and I am glad to see it revived. Now on my finds.... My son is finally working agiain for a construction crew. WOOHOO! Can we say " S C R O R E"?? He is saveing ALL of the wood scraps for me...plywood, 2x4's( might have a few nails in them) and roofing materials! Shingles, tar paper, felt...whatever he can get. He said once there is a truck load, he will call. Should be about twice a month. I am so excited! Now if I can find 5 exterior doors for my breeder coop. :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW Dixie that is quite the find on the french doors.
Unreal what people through out while remodeling.

great score

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey Pam
good score on the rotary line while yours broke anyway!!

My MIL called and asked if I wanted a new rotary line and I told her no. The string between 2 trees is working fine for me. Holds one load perfect.

The local hardware store sells them for $59.99 in season...but she ordered in winter and they said they would knock off $20 for her. So $39 for it.....she wants desparate to get me one..HA HA..but I said no more stuff unless I truly need it, which I don't. But I was tempted..HA HA HA---she pushed and I told her to put the $39 in Nicole's college fund. I will need it there more..HA HA