shortages

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was in town yesterday evening, haven't been into town for several weeks. Gasoline 87 octane was $4.49 a gallon and diesel $5.49 a gallon.

It remained unchanged this morning 😲 They must have some city tax or something 🤷‍♂️ because it's a lot more expensive than the other towns I visit more frequently.
Screenshot_20220505-102120.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can’t wait. While I support alternative sources of energy, I do not support just turning off fossil fuels abruptly like has been done. Inflation is galloping to the moon, a recession, possibly a depression is coming at us like a freight train. People like us, on these forums, will be better off than the general public, but it’s still gonna hurt.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm displeased that some of the inflation is price gouging. I read an article where and expert explained that companies can get away with it because needs are "inelastic", and gave the example that if a consumer needs a pack of diapers, they will buy it even at a higher price because they need a pack of diapers.

I couldn't get into the economic debate - I don't know enough - but that section of the article hit me. The expert is describing *dependency.* Makes me value this forum so much more. I'd be the person to cut up a bedsheet to make cloth diapers instead of pay more. :gig

I read a similar article that suggests that current events are making for a long-term change, as in, 2 to 3 decades. The author wrote that the era of cheap and accessible goods is over. That surely represents a difficult period of change for people, but in the end a much better situation for the planet. Smaller population, less waste of resources, less pollution. It's honestly my hope that the planet will remain habitable through my children's lifespan.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I couldn't get into the economic debate - I don't know enough - but that section of the article hit me. The expert is describing *dependency.* Makes me value this forum so much more. I'd be the person to cut up a bedsheet to make cloth diapers instead of pay more. :gig
I would pay more for diapers, but for others things, I'll make it if I can. I was making bread often for awhile, as bread has been expensive for awhile (the kind we ate anyway). We don't eat much bread anymore.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can’t wait. While I support alternative sources of energy, I do not support just turning off fossil fuels abruptly like has been done. Inflation is galloping to the moon, a recession, possibly a depression is coming at us like a freight train. People like us, on these forums, will be better off than the general public, but it’s still gonna hurt.

things have gotten pretty complicated pretty quickly. industrial processes can take some time to adapt.

i don't think there was any vast conspiracy (beyond OPEC, but that's a whole different can of worms IMO) to turn off or limit production as much as the pandemic changed habits and the industry adapted to the new habits and now it has started to change back and there's more seasonal demand on top of the international complications.

i do know this, that if the fleet fuel efficiency standards were not watered down there would have been less of a valuable resource wasted.