shortages

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't tolerate sugar added to tomatoes! (Or the baking soda trick)

My solution is to get canned tomatoes that dont have acid added. (Cento or Pomi brands, but read the labels to double check). Then I make the sauce 50% other veggies - onions, celery, garlic, spinach, bell peppers, mushrooms.

No acidity problems then! 😅

i normally don't add any acid to the ones we grow and put up either. they're consistently acidic enough. the exception when i add some lemon juice to some is when they might have had a lot of inclusions or other possible contact with the soil or bacteria or whatever - since i can't stand the idea of just throwing them away (or giving them away) i'll do that instead. but also sometimes i just say i've had enough for the season and bury the rest and let the worms sort it all out. they got it down. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Baked oatmeal day, apple cinnamon this time. Enough for 8 breakfasts or 4 for both of us 😋
IMG_20230114_171755542.jpg

I found out why she refuses to buy cereal. Read the label, all off it, research and draw your own conclusion.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife was going to make angel food cake so I could have a "good desert" with unsweetened strawberries and whipped cream. She's delayed this angel food cake for several weeks.

At church they had a bowl of mixed fruit with sugar sprinkled over top and a peach cobbler. Both looked delicious, but I won't eat "sugar bombs". So I grabbed a banana after biscuits and gravy instead, because they were also there on the table

I asked my wife after church about this angel food cake. She said the recipe calls for 12 egg whites, what am I supposed to do with 12 egg yokes? My mouth fell open, she laughed and said, she'll pick up a angel food cake while in town, of they have any.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i would rather make oatmeal and do things with that if i can if i want a hot cereal breakfast, but recently we've been eating more fruits and nuts so today was mini banana split for breakfast and that's all i'll have today until asparagus mushroom soup later. we're going to try to go for a walk too since the sun is sort of out and it isn't so bitter cold.

we've also been keeping sliced apples handy and i've liked those as snacks and even meals at times (with peanut butter of course :) ).

I dont eat it for breakfast. I don't eat in the morning usually. When I do it's kombucha with some nuts or jerky or such.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pretty bad when the cost of a new truck is as much as my house cost 3 years ago.... yes, the house needs work.... but the truck will only depreciate... and the house will "take care of me" if I do what needs to take care of it and the land will not depreciate...
Sad but true story. I paid the same for my truck as my house. It had 130,000 miles on it at the time.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Potential for peanut butter, if eggs and meat prices stay high long enough to drive up demand for peanut butter as a protein source, and if global food shortages continue/accelerate (because peanut butter based supplements are a critical food for treating child wasting)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are peanut shells good mixed in with animal feed? Seems like the would be, IDK...
They have a little protein and some nuts get thru. Its a roughage/filler type thing. Replaces some forage basically. The goats love them. They are good soil amendment, loosens up clays, etc. There's a lot of cotton produced here, too. Seeds are ground for oil and residue has been used in cattle feeding I've heard. Soybeans grown in my area, also. Like most crops, chemicals to consider.

During cotton harvest you ride by fields with big rolled bales in pink and yellow wrappers. 🤣.

Last edited: