shortages

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have benn using a KitchenAid meat grinder attachment for over 20 years. I picked up a new one 6 years ago because my original one was starting to split. New one - the base is good, but the grinding parts are cheap crap. So, I combined the parts for a good working single unit. It works good for small amounts.
I freeze venison meat in small chunks in 1-pound packages - defrost until it is soft enough to break apart but still has ice crystals in it. I prefer to grind meat as I need it. IMHO- pregrinding adds air to the meat which helps it freezer-burn faster.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Is there a raisin shortage? I was at wamart and they are always low stocked compared to others. I didn't have time to shop around.

Chickpea/hummus shortage expected through the next year (or longer) due to Ukraine.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't eat enough of any chickpeas to be worried. But anyone who eats a lot of hummus can grow chickpeas....or buy some dried while they're out there. 👍. I think bread grains from there will impact more people. 🤷

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I don't eat enough of any chickpeas to be worried. But anyone who eats a lot of hummus can grow chickpeas....or buy some dried while they're out there. 👍. I think bread grains from there will impact more people. 🤷
Chickpea shortage is expected to affect India and Somalia most because its a main protein source there. Somalia is already on the verge. :/

It's not a popular item here, so its an easy one to add a few to my shelf. I figure I use 24 cans per year.

As for grain... I think my family will go grain-free if it gets too expensive or unavailable. I dont have space to stock as much as we would use in a year the way we eat now.

DS7 is practicing baking... those stockpile lists never say to add like 40% more of everything if you dont know how to bake. My chickens will get fat from his baking fails :gig

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Only me and I eat sparsely of breads. 🤷. Oh, I'll scoff down a fresh, hot loaf, or biscuit -- both dropping in butter. But it's not a daily part of my eats. 😂. Do have several pounds of different flours on hand to make if wanted. Yeast, yep stocked up. Most days it's easy to not have bread.....EXCEPT the first ripe tomato sandwich!!! 🤣🤣💕

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FYI... Not bad... thicker guage stainless steel.
IMG_20220912_135604674.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's what we're talking about!

If you're a farm animal over here. Tonight's menu consists of chilled very ripe shredded butternut and acorn squash, topped with your favorite bagged feed (cow or fowl) 😁
IMG_20220912_155206612.jpg

Cleaned right up swishing around in a bucket of water 👍
IMG_20220912_154132231.jpg

I like it 👍

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I may need to rethink my feed supplement. I pulled the bowl out of the refrigerator sat it on the deck. My hunting dog decided it was good. I shoed him away went to slip on my muck boots and Jack was eating out of the bowl. Turkeys, ducks and chickens devoured 1/2 & 1/2, cattle happily eat 1/4 to 3/4. We'll this is one way to put excess garden squash to good use 👍 I'm pretty sure squashes are nutritious and fiber rich.
IMG_20220912_182710549~2.jpg

I think tomorrow it'll be chilled zucchini and summer squash.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited: