shortages

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Which kitchenaid grinder do you have? Plastic or Metal? Do you like it?

Plastic

Metal

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

I'm not sure where Ive put it. I use my bigger stand alone grinder now. It was white so probably plastic. It's quite heavy and I think the internal workings were all metal. Loading shute was plastic.

I got it over 20 years ago so don't know if you can compare to todays ones.

Oh and I had no issue using it on the small, tilt head mixer. I have a bigger one of those too now.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure where Ive put it. I use my bigger stand alone grinder now. It was white so probably plastic. It's quite heavy and I think the internal workings were all metal. Loading shute was plastic.

I got it over 20 years ago so don't know if you can compare to todays ones.

Oh and I had no issue using it on the small, tilt head mixer. I have a bigger one of those too now.

I appreciate your response, Thank You. There's nothing like getting someones HONEST opinion who actually used one.

It's just my wife and I, we have the tilt head KitchenAid model, plus another for backup if needed. So for our needs I think either will do just fine.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kitchenaid mixer repair my wife got this from a second hand store. I plugged it in it wouldn't turn on. Seen some screw driver marks where the brushes go on both sides of the motor. Someone put brand new brushes in backwards. I oriented the brushes correctly and it fired up ran through all the speeds OK๐Ÿ‘ then I noticed the planetary was skipping during it's rotation, which means a missing tooth or more in a gear. ๐Ÿ™„ I researched and found out Kitchenaid designed a "throw out" nylon gear along with the steel ones. They did this so if it's overloaded the gear will strip instead of doing other more severe damage. So I grabbed the shaft and yep a stripped gear. I ordered the replacement assembly instead of just the nylon worm gear because I had no idea what the inside of the machine looked like. Here's the stripped nylon gear assembly removed in copious amounts of grease.
IMG_20220906_185551989.jpg

Here's the new worm gear assembly screwed down and ready for grease which there is no shortage of in the motor housing.
IMG_20220906_185712399.jpg

Here's the mixer reassembled, repaired and fully functional. Just need to clean it up and it's ready to make some pizza dough.๐Ÿ˜
IMG_20220906_191929629.jpg

All in all a 20 minute repair and that's mainly because I was curious how the machine was made. My opinion It's a well made machine and the "throw out" nylon worm gear as a safety feature is just part of well engineered machine. The OEM worm gear assembly was $28.79 on eBay. The non-functional used machine with beater attachments, bowl and bowl cover was $10.00 at the second hand store. All in all well worth the time and $$ to repair ๐Ÿ‘ I think I'll order a 2 pack of just the nylon worm gear for $10.00 to have on hand. since now I have an extra assembly to install it in, if I ever need it to replace it again ๐Ÿ˜

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Which kitchenaid grinder do you have? Plastic or Metal? Do you like it?

Plastic

Metal
I have the newer plastic meat grinder for kitchenaid mixer. I have a kitchenaid with a larger/stronger motor for using attachments. The meat grinder is still a POS. The opening is too small to be useful for home processing needs. The plastic is too flimsy for you to push the meat through at a reasonable pace. It's okay for small quantities, but not realistic when you have 50 pounds to grind.

The Back to Basics $100 types of meat grinders are okay-ish. They don't last long. DH upgraded to a "real" meat grinder and it is amazing. It's worth saving up for if you can.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought the plastic attachment for my KA from the Big A a couple of years ago. Very hard to do anything worth anything. Had to have hubs help to push the meat down the chute.

I found a grinder at an estate sale (REM brand) for $70. Its still made and retails for +$500. I did have to order parts but I'm ready now.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So many kitchenaid attachments being made by different companies now. i'm going to try this fruit strainer for tomatoes. Only because it's made in USA (North Carolina) is dishwasher safe, people seem to like it and has a lifetime warranty. Keep the box and the receipt.