shortages

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow will be day 3 of supplementing cow and fowl feed with over abundance of garden squash. 1/2 & 1/2 fowl and 1/4 & 3/4 cow. The way I figure I takes me about 15 minutes to shred the squash and clean up. The squash was right here anyways in the garden. So the more days I supplement means less trips into town to purchase feed.

The animals seem happy and brisket was standing at the gate mooing at me when he seen me come out of the garden with a long sweet potato vine. Funny how they watch me and seem to know I'm getting sweet potato leaves for them 😂. They will follow me or my daughter in law anywhere, as long as we are carrying a white 5 gallon bucket. But this sweet potato leaf thing is brand new, I think they might like sweet potato leaves better than alfalfa.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Will chickens eat tomato plants that I'm pulling up?
If I'm not mistaken I think tomato is part of the night shade family. So that would make leaves and stems somewhat toxic. Our chickens never bothered the plants but will peck a tomato into nothing left to eat.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well you know the old saying " if everybody knows it then its proably no so "
Tomato leaves have been being used by chefs for several years now . Just lookup tomato leaf recipes . Here's one .

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Same here.....chickens like the tomatoes! Leaves can't be but so toxic -- hornworms eat all they can 😠🙄🤣

except remember that they're doing this because they've adapted to it and that most animals won't eat the hornworms because they've concentrated the toxins.

some of the hornworm species are the tobacco hornworms and tobacco is very toxic (nicotine is definitely a poison). not much eats those worms either. i remember years ago when i was smoking that i'd not been inhaling that much but for some reason one day i decided to inhale an entire cigarette. i got pretty sick from that... another time i smoked half a cigar and it didn't bother me at all (because it was being filtered by the lower half of the cigar) and then my friend cut a cigar in half to share with me and i inhaled some of that and a short while later i got pretty sick from that too. i'm pretty sure that was also the last cigar or tobacco smoked.