shortages

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use very little sugar when I make cranberry juice, so I will slowly use it up as cooking liquids.
Cranberry oatmeal with tart cherries is very good. Used some to make sugar free orange jello, color was a bit funky but it tasted good, lol

I calculated it out, just about 12g sugar per cup of juice for my homemade compared to 30g sugar for store bought.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So now the fun begins. The food storage push began a little over a year ago. The commercially bought foodstuffs have started getting closer to expiration dates. Some things were canned 6 months ago, so the clock has started.

Time to install a disciplined approach of working through with a rotation.

I hate tossing out food.

I have no issue gnawing on something for 2-3 days to get through it, usually freezing whats left, if anything. How this will play out, I don't know

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Time to install a disciplined approach of working through with a rotation.
Yep - that's always a thing. I've always used our preps. Never thought it was a great idea to have a bunch of stuff put away and let it sit too long to be useful.

We usually use stuff up when I'm too tired to cook. It's so easy to grab a quart of soup or some canned meat that only needs to be warmed up.

Also helps to free up some jars.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is a problem....a big stash. Work hard to grow and preserve and ya need to eat it! If you live in northern climes, you don't want to have to go out in the "always there" snow. You use that food. No stores close. You use that food. No paycheck, you use that food.

I find making myself have a "shopless month" helps!! But I work in stores most days, so a little tempting. Now, Dec and Jan our work is slack. I try to make those no groc shop months. 😊. Im home, it's cold out, works well. With cats & chickens, not much goes uneaten.....hey, I'd have to buy feed. So still well used. Cats love warm broth or milk on a cold night.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is a problem....a big stash. Work hard to grow and preserve and ya need to eat it! If you live in northern climes, you don't want to have to go out in the "always there" snow. You use that food. No stores close. You use that food. No paycheck, you use that food.

I find making myself have a "shopless month" helps!! But I work in stores most days, so a little tempting. Now, Dec and Jan our work is slack. I try to make those no groc shop months. 😊. Im home, it's cold out, works well. With cats & chickens, not much goes uneaten.....hey, I'd have to buy feed. So still well used. Cats love warm broth or milk on a cold night.
I'm still not done with all the excess squash from the garden this year. I've been supplementing every since I got that shredder attachment for the kitchen aid. I shred approximately 6 lbs a day (two 3 lb coffee cans full more or less). It's amazing how much it's decreased our feed bill, just supplementing. And the animals seem happy and look good too.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we don't put up a lot of extra food by canning but what we do put up is the basic tomato chunks we use for so many other things we cook. then i have plenty of dry beans too for cooking up as we need them.

after we make something else using the beans and/or tomatoes we may then freeze portions of that for later eating but no worry about that going bad as we tend to use those up within a few months.

the squash i put in the freezer can last a few years. i have plenty left this year so i may be giving away a lot of the squash we picked the past few weeks. still i like some fresh baked squash too once in a while once it gets a bit colder out. yum. :) the worms love all the skins and innards left over from processing.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A couple of people have told me that seeds from pumpkins, squash and gourds is a natural dewormer.

I've been shreding whole zucchini, summer squash and butternut squash. Seeds also go through the shreader and are usually broken into smaller pieces. I've been supplementing feeding our cattle and foul. Meaning fowl gets 1/2 shredded squash, 1/2 layer pellets. Cattles gets 1/4 squash, 3/4 commodity. Every animal seems good and healthy, nice shiny coats and good looking feathers. Kitties sneak a little when put the can down, same with my dog. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything and I look at it as a way to put garden excess to good use instead of disregarding it.

But I'm curious... Have you also heard the same about squash seeds being a natural dewormer?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pumpkin, yes. Also...garlic, oregano, comfrey, wormwood....these make the gut less attractive for the worms. Oldsters also used tobacco.

Some of these need use in moderation...too much can be a problem. It's a study to be sure.

Another plant that's good to have is beautyberry...a shrub. Grows wild around here. Anyway, the leaves have oils that repel insects like deet does. Used to be branches put with harness on animals, crushing leaves. You can rub on self for same effect.

Many plants and herbs help us 🤷😁

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The effects of drought are hitting grocery stores now.

Low quality, low stock, high prices

The rest of the store was well-stocked. Veggies and mushrooms were rather empty.
20221221_132850.jpg

Check out these limp, sad summer squash for $1.52/# 😲
20221221_132915.jpg

Shrunken broccoli crowns
20221209_104528.jpg