shortages

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a bucket of pinto beans that was maybe 10-12 years old. Even soaking overnight and simmering for a day or two, they were still hard. So I soaked them, simmered, then canned them, came out perfect! Still have some in the bucket. When I can the last of them, I'll fill the bucket up again! LOL LOL

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a hard time dealing with a thief. But am more than willing to help someone who needs it. So "raiding the garden" is a mixed bag for me.
Agree...you can have, I'll share. In this case they weren't just taking "some". In fact, several of us talked and agreed that if they needed help, no issue! But when almost every collard plant went the week before Thanksgiving, it was not good! :mad: 😁

You are right, those who DO need will most often not say that. Used to have a neighbor like that and I almost apologized when I asked about "pawning off" a lot of excess on them, from garden and products from food demos. Only when she was moving a couple years later did I learn how truly desperate they often were, as she thanked me for those dumps of foods to them. You just never know! I was so very surprised....yet glad I had unknowingly been able to help them, consistently, meaningfully and with no embarrassment.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just stocked up on 300lbs of chicken feed. All 3 trash cans are full. Just in case. Should last me a couple months if I ration it. They free range during the day so they only get fed once a day.

Last edited:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
walmart has lids. golden harvest were $1.50 and ball were $2.30. they had about 6 cases of the ball....and some jars too.
20220114_190731.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry, maybe I'm young. What in the world is tang?
Powdered imitation orange juice. Mixed with water, it was a real treat. I thought it was great. Just goes to show ya’ the kind of crap my momma fed us. I didn’t know steak came any other way except chicken fried to the consistency of shoe leather. I swear, we could’ve strapped mom’s chicken fried steak on the bottom of our shoes and walked on it for a year. I left home and discovered medium rare grilled steak…….. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE???

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we went down south a couple years ago and they had biscuits and gravy at McDonalds in GA (we had stopped for coffee only, lol) my DH was SOOO happy.

Hardees has better biscuits and gravy. Kind of miss it after moving back out here. Chick-fil-A followed us though.

We were poor enough that bread and leftover gravy was lunch sometimes when I was a kid.

We ate a lot of gravy because we ate lots of potatoes at most lunch and all dinners because potatoes were free.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Am I the only one who wants to move near Amish country? Seriously. Hand cut lumber, self sufficient neighbors who could teach you a ton, local food sources...
I do live near the 4th largest community in the States. You would be surprised how modern they are. They run their own sawmills, have cell phones, and the Friday night Walmart runs are entertaining to watch. Good and bad people in every community. The "rules" are followed, but the grey area is huge