shortages

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kitchenaid mixer repair my wife got this from a second hand store. I plugged it in it wouldn't turn on. Seen some screw driver marks where the brushes go on both sides of the motor. Someone put brand new brushes in backwards. I oriented the brushes correctly and it fired up ran through all the speeds OK👍 then I noticed the planetary was skipping during it's rotation, which means a missing tooth or more in a gear. 🙄 I researched and found out Kitchenaid designed a "throw out" nylon gear along with the steel ones. They did this so if it's overloaded the gear will strip instead of doing other more severe damage. So I grabbed the shaft and yep a stripped gear. I ordered the replacement assembly instead of just the nylon worm gear because I had no idea what the inside of the machine looked like. Here's the stripped nylon gear assembly removed in copious amounts of grease.
IMG_20220906_185551989.jpg

Here's the new worm gear assembly screwed down and ready for grease which there is no shortage of in the motor housing.
IMG_20220906_185712399.jpg

Here's the mixer reassembled, repaired and fully functional. Just need to clean it up and it's ready to make some pizza dough.😁
IMG_20220906_191929629.jpg

All in all a 20 minute repair and that's mainly because I was curious how the machine was made. My opinion It's a well made machine and the "throw out" nylon worm gear as a safety feature is just part of well engineered machine. The OEM worm gear assembly was $28.79 on eBay. The non-functional used machine with beater attachments, bowl and bowl cover was $10.00 at the second hand store. All in all well worth the time and $$ to repair 👍 I think I'll order a 2 pack of just the nylon worm gear for $10.00 to have on hand. since now I have an extra assembly to install it in, if I ever need it to replace it again 😁

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is a problem....a big stash. Work hard to grow and preserve and ya need to eat it! If you live in northern climes, you don't want to have to go out in the "always there" snow. You use that food. No stores close. You use that food. No paycheck, you use that food.

I find making myself have a "shopless month" helps!! But I work in stores most days, so a little tempting. Now, Dec and Jan our work is slack. I try to make those no groc shop months. 😊. Im home, it's cold out, works well. With cats & chickens, not much goes uneaten.....hey, I'd have to buy feed. So still well used. Cats love warm broth or milk on a cold night.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is a problem....a big stash. Work hard to grow and preserve and ya need to eat it! If you live in northern climes, you don't want to have to go out in the "always there" snow. You use that food. No stores close. You use that food. No paycheck, you use that food.

I find making myself have a "shopless month" helps!! But I work in stores most days, so a little tempting. Now, Dec and Jan our work is slack. I try to make those no groc shop months. 😊. Im home, it's cold out, works well. With cats & chickens, not much goes uneaten.....hey, I'd have to buy feed. So still well used. Cats love warm broth or milk on a cold night.
I'm still not done with all the excess squash from the garden this year. I've been supplementing every since I got that shredder attachment for the kitchen aid. I shred approximately 6 lbs a day (two 3 lb coffee cans full more or less). It's amazing how much it's decreased our feed bill, just supplementing. And the animals seem happy and look good too.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
NOW....what else?? Dry cat food. :idunno :th

Probably wouldn't notice so much except for these cats crowding me. Lately most stores are out or close. Its like TP 2 yrs ago :lol:. 5# of chicken drumsticks cooking now to mix with dry I have. On markdown, they were!!! None in freezer 'cause I'm not a dark meat chicken fan.

Since I'm on my annual winter "don't buy groceries" fling, dry cat food is almost all I buy. So I notice!

By the way -- I've been SOOO good! 7weeks and only bought a box of six ice cream bars, a pkg of hamburger rolls and a bag of trail mix and these chicken drumsticks.....think that's all. Very minimal, anyway. 👍. Its a personal "can you do it" thing each year. Reinforces my preparedness as well as resolve to use what I've got before I "just buy". A good self retraining too. Try it, make it a game. It changes your attitude 😁

Made bread yesterday. Had some with homemade apple butter for breakfast. :drool

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Still better than $8.32 for 18 at WM...46 ea. 😁

Personally, I think eggs have been underpriced as an excellent whole food/protein food for years. Just such a shock for so many relying on them as that source, cheaply. It'll be a long time before they drop in price to olden day. 🤔 Eggs & milk have always been loss leaders. At least this round of availability is probably sending a majority of this pricing to the farmer selling them, beyond middleman/transport or seller.
That is exactly right. In fact my DS was at Walmart the other evening getting GF some stuff... it is on his way home in a roundabout way.... so he swung by and went and looked at the egg prices since GF was complaining about them.... and there was a lady there just carrying on about the price of eggs.... and he told her he was GLAD the prices were up over $5.00 a dozen... and she looked at him and said you are crazy... and he said, NO Ma'am... It is about time the farmer gets paid what they are worth. If you stop and think about it eggs have been in the $2-3.00 a dozen price range for about 20 years or more.... Feed used to be $10-$12 a 100 lb sack and now it is $14-$20 a 50 lb bag..... that is 4 times what it used to cost and the price went up about $1.00 a dozen..... the same with milk... farmers were not making expenses and kept getting told to "tighten their belts and get more efficient".... Yet you will go and pay upwards of $1,000 for a stupid cell phone and a new truck costs $50-$75,000 dollars now... There is no wonder that farmers are getting older, retiring out and NO ONE wants to continue on with the farming of working 7 days a week and getting back nothing for their own labor. We farm and my mom and I worked full time off the farm also so we could AFFORD to do what we love.....
And believe me, we will eat when there is nothing for anyone else because we have worked our A$$E$ off to have that privilege.
He said she looked at him... and said, thank you.... I have never given it that sort of consideration... and yes, we do take advantage of so many things in this country.... and I had no idea that things had gotten that much more costly for a farmer too.... it is still a sticker shock but I understand it a little better and I plan to talk to my neighbor and they have chickens and see if I can buy them direct from them.

He said he felt good after that, maybe just one person will "get it" and maybe even pass it on to another...

Food in this country has always been "cheap" compared to other countries and we turned around and spent more on "non-necessary" things.
Pretty bad when the cost of a new truck is as much as my house cost 3 years ago.... yes, the house needs work.... but the truck will only depreciate... and the house will "take care of me" if I do what needs to take care of it and the land will not depreciate...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So another layer chicken barn fire ... 100,000 birds. 😞
Mexico doesn't want to buy our GMO corn. Maybe feed price can drop...more available at lower price?

So far, MY winter is mild, maybe an early garden. :idunno

Goats kidding...milk supply back. :clap

Our state dropped food sales taxes. Every bit helps. They also declined allowing some manufacturing to build here because of Chinese backing/ownership. Fla stopped some farmland sales, same reason. We don't need CHina buying USA.

Lists of available, pricing, delivery $$ keeps increasing. Keep up growing ang preserving your own food supplies! 😊

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So with the ice storm canceling flights and not being able to ship, Meyer hatchery here in Ohio had a peep flash sale today, in store only. Discounted deeply. Sold some ridiculous number of chicks in just 4 hours, selling out. Go Ohio!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I must admit I'm very happy farm babe refuses to buy store bought cereal. It's stirred me to eating a more healthy breakfast. This week it's cranberry orange & pecan baked oatmeal.
IMG_20230207_142515436.jpg

I said you know you have pumpkin puree in the freezer, how about pumpkin pie baked oatmeal? She said I have a recipe for that. Maybe next week it'll be pumpkin pie baked oatmeal.

Storage is in lunch meat containers, stacked in the refrigerator. Pull one out, crack the lid, stick in the nuker for 2 minutes and enjoy hot breakfast.

Last edited: