shortages

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a couple of customers that pay me $7 per pound for chicken. Each one wants 10 chickens. I pasture raise them in chicken tractors, moved daily and ferment their feed. What I make on the ones I sell will pay for or significantly decrease the cost. I can supply my daughter and family with chicken.

I got my 50 chicks this morning. For the next 2 1/2 months, I will be catering to some labor intensive chickens.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My son was at Rural King and picked up several pairs on a discount table for $5.00 each. Hey, I couldn't buy the zipper let alone the fabric to make them if I was inclined to... NOPE..... and DOUBLE NOPE for paying $60 for a pair of jeans... Rural King brand is just fine... new is new and if they fit, don't care what the name on the label.
I buy most all of mine at Goodwill.... cows don't care what name is on the label or the pocket....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bought more coffee...couldn't help myself. 57% off! Packing change in reset, so new up and old discounted....the kind I use! 😁 got another 5 lbs....add to already stocked and I'm good until next Fall, easy. I have to stop this. 🤔🤪 not like I think things are gonna be that bad but, also have excess of a LOT of things. Nothing that will go bad, just way more than enough. Need to brake!

No shortages at this house.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think we could try this homemade recipe if things go wrong. Yeah View attachment 16775

There is a reason for pasteurization. Too many city kids died from milk borne diseases before it.

Most people don't test their cows for brucellosis. You don't want a baby to get that which is usually spread from unpasteurized milk. Even if you just pasteurize it yourself before use. There's a bunch of other nasties as well.

It's a different story if you have your own cow, have made sure it's disease free, and use the milk daily. Even just the daily use of the fresh milk helps a ton because the bacteria haven't had time to multiply. Farmers didn't save the milk over days except for cheese and butter making. Usually it help grow out the pigs.

The raw milk farms here are required to test their herds. I see it in the stores occasionally. Usually it's goat milk, but I know of at least one cow dairy that's raw. Goat milk on it's own is pretty nutritous and more easily digestible. It's higher fat than most cow milk you find. They are also less likely to carry diseases than cows.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@Mini Horses , I think an inventory effort is needed around here before any new large purchases. The food, non-food, and preservation supplies.

Then, I think some decisions can be made. Still eating on the soup and turkey salad from Monday.

I think we have close to 6 months of stuff now.