shortages

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we don't have room for all that we could can so there is the importance of making priority and to me the main priority is what we use the most. tomato chunks. so those are what we grow the most for canning and then whatever else we do around the edges. 100-150 quarts. 10-15 boxes of lids plus a few boxes for strawberry freezing if i'm short on budget lids.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Son bought 6 boxes of regular mouth lids at a store for $2 each this week!
Nice! Ball lids are starting to appear here. $3.99/reg, $4.99 wide. I'm buying an extra box each time I shop. I need to do a proper inventory. I have plenty but need to keep stock rotated. I plan to can more than usual this year. I'm watching jar prices too. Stores stocked up on off brand jars, and Ball jars are back now too. So many jars! Prices should come down. 🤞

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Golden harvest lid
We have a great farmer's market uptown (a friend is one of the growers) for extra produce. Now that I have convinced the wife the pressure canner won't blow up the house, she wants to can everything and then some. We agreed to set some time aside with no distractions, to look through my canning recipe books to get a list together.

I am wavering on how many jars/lids we should have on hand above and beyond that stuff.
So we went through the canning books independently, wrote down our preferences, and compared lists.
The project manager in me now has the start of a plan to execute. Lol

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Found 10 more dozen jars, including counting those that are filled.
Wife helped count loose jars. She exclaimed excitedly we have over 300 jars now in total. Thought maybe we could back off a bit. Lol
Yeah, right......back off...... men can be do cute sometimes........just teasing @FarmerJamie.... 🤣