shortages

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Uptopia...wouldn't that be nice. Now what would that look like-different for everyone I guess. Me--a little more woods to cut us more off from the world, adding some small animals, healthy and happy kids and partner, and walking out my front door to a stable and thriving food forest

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll need both in case anyone comes to "help" 🤣. Fat chance.
Help in the garden? What's that?

DH does help. This is how it goes:

I till it.
I row it.
I plant it.
I weed it.
I pick it.
I cook it. (or can it, or dehydrate it)

Now comes his part:
He EATS it!

He's really good at that part and I appreciate the help, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Uptopia...wouldn't that be nice. Now what would that look like-different for everyone I guess. Me--a little more woods to cut us more off from the world, adding some small animals, healthy and happy kids and partner, and walking out my front door to a stable and thriving food forest
I want a Utopia too!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

I till it.
I row it.
I plant it.
I weed it.
I pick it.

Now comes his part:
He EATS it!

Last spring I asked BJ for help weeding the garden. This is what I got. LOL Wish I had it back.

99418CDB-4072-42C3-B5C6-6BC608236584.jpeg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm glad that Mom does help out with things she can manage to do in the gardens. just keeping after all the decorations and repairing wind chimes can be a lot of time that i don't really have (nor much of the inclination either). today she said she removed some rocks and stepping stones that were taking up a part of a garden where we had herbs growing for quite a while. what it turned into was a mint patch that we smothered. the smothering was done and it was taking up valuable real-estate so this season i can get another tomato plant in there or something elses depending upon what we decide to plant.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

I till it.
I row it.
I plant it.
I weed it.
I pick it.

Now comes his part:
He EATS it!

Sounds familiar! Sometimes my family (okay, my mom) helps cut and prepare. Especially helpful in canning season!!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Global shortages of sunflower oil and canola oil are expected. Russia and Ukraine produce about 70% of the global supply of sunflower oil.

As manufacturers switch, we can expect shortages and high prices on olive and palm oils. (Soy too???)

This could be a high impact shortage, since almost all prepared, packaged, and processed foods contain canola or palm oil.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My vitamin E supplement contains sunflower oil, so I bought a couple extra before the price goes up.

I use mostly butter, cream, and avocado oil for cooking. I think avocado oil is expensive enough to not be affected (i.e. probably wont be used to replace canola by manufacturers).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Indonesia banned export of palm oil this week too. They produce 60% of the world's palm oil.

Palm oil and derivatives are in everything. EVERYTHING. Produce waxes, vitamin fortification (dairy), beauty products, anything with "natural flavor" (which is almost everything in a grocery store). Some derivatives can be made from coconut or soy.

But this could be a biggie if Indonesia holds fast to their export ban and Russia continues its war.

Grow your garden, preserve whole foods, and cook from scratch to avoid being affected.