Someday Farm, yup someday it will all be just the way i want it..........

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woo hoo! Glad things are all lined out and working well. Really been population explosion at your place, huh? Funny how that happens, lol. Congrats on all the new critters!

Gardening time around here too - about a month later than most years because of all the wetness....ugh.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What a great post- so full of spring upbeat! I'm glad you have so many good things going. Can you handle all the milk from 4 milking does? Do you have a market for the babies?
If you don't think you can kill the bunnies, you might try asking around, like 4H or whatever for someone that would be willing to do something like kill 6 bunnies for you and keep one for themself?
My DH and his brother got so good at it when they were raising rabbits that they could kill, skin and gut the animal in seconds.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
right now @Britesea I'm letting Fiona, the ff raise her babies, spritzer and viola are also nursing their kids and i lock up babies at nite and milk in the am then turn them out with the mamas. i sold 1 ff milker and her bucks so I'm really only milking 2 does once a day. i make baked custards a lot, cheese, cajeta and am about ready to start on soaps so i don't have a real glut of milk. after mom passed last summer i kind of looked around and realized that it's just me so i don't need or want as much as i had before. i sold several does, butchered the wethers and the pig and sold half of him just so i could cut back. if i get to the point that i have to much milk then i can the excess. it doesn't taste like fresh but tastes like canned milk and i use it for cooking. when i had pigs or calves i would feed it to them and i still give some to the dogs and chickens.
wow, how handy would it be to have your DH and BIL visit here every couple of months. but SIL has said that he would bonk the bunnies. i am such a wimp but if he kills them i can skin and gut them with no problem so we'll see how it all turns out. I've still got about a month to worry about it and since i am so good at procrastination "i'll worry about it tomorrow".

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't raise rabbits cuz I don't know that I could send them to freezer camp. Bunnies are cute.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so true @Denim Deb. no one warned me how cute they really are, therein lies the problem. to watch them jump around and do flips as they grow. if i can get SIL to do the deed then i can do the rest so we'll see how it works out.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hey @Denim Deb. just logged back on this morning after being absent for several weeks. to answer your question, things are going.... I find myself withdrawing into a dark little hole sometimes and now is one of those times. animals are all ok. goats are finally starting to look better. to much rain, to little nutrition in the grass makes for unthrifty animals no matter what else you feed them. the dog my daughter gave me for Christmas killed my blue copper maran rooster yesterday so no roo for my maran hens. the cow ran away from home, found him down the road with a neighbors cows so after all the fence fixin' that's been done he still got out. i'll be glad when its time to butcher that sob! I'm down to 10 rabbits, the 3 adults and 7 young ones to butcher. I've sold or traded the others and sil had to have surgery so we haven't gotten them butchered yet. traded my last horse for some fence and barn work so for the first time in almost 50 years i am horseless, makes me sad. but the sun is shining, God is good and i'll get thru this too. how are things at your house? still working your horse? got a garden growing? hope things are going good for you

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Still working my horse, got a garden in, and am trying some new stuff this year. And you're right, God is good.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome back, goatgurl! I feel your pain for sure. I. AM. SO. SICK. OF. MUD!

When I got out of 'big' horses I had to get a mini or three just so I could have horse smell!

Hope you get past this funk quickly. Have faith - this too will pass.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
bad news, good news... the bad - been having off again/on again problems with my internet for months now hence the be on here and visit and then disappear for a week or so. the good - my dd and sil were here last weekend and after sil tried for hours to fix the connection problems he finally said "heck with it, call hughes net and get your own satellite". and they are going to pay for it. so i did.... :) and i no longer have to rely on someone else's connection and or deal with their sour attitude. yeaaaaa. good news, bad news... good - sil mowed my grass while they were here. bad - he also mowed down two honeyberry bushes and a crepe myrtle :(. at least he tries to help.
with a deep breath and humbleness i have to tell youall that after being in this blue funk for to long i finally broke down and went to see my doctor and asked for help. since mom passed away last year i have just had a bad "i don't care, i don't want to" thing going on and haven't been able to shake it. we talked at length, she gave me some medication to try for a while and told me to go back to work.. get a job, what?? said i was to good a nurse just to stay home. i take care of 12 goats, 8 sheep, 50+ chickens, 35+ ducks and 10 rabbits and the lawn and garden all by myself isn't that enough work? nope... i need to get back out into the world. waaaa, i don't wanna go!! but i know she is right and I'm going to look for something that will fit me. say a little prayer for me that God puts me where he wants me to be.