Someday Farm, yup someday it will all be just the way i want it..........

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you're truly open to His leading and guidance, He will.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, you don't have to go back to work as a nurse. I work PT for far less pay than when I was "working"......but, it does get me into places I wouldn't have gone, see people I wouldn't have, takes my mind off of "other" issues and pays the feed bill. I actually work 2 PT "jobs", one to do food sampling and one to go to various stores and do "whatever" has come up -- sometimes I just audit for a vendor, sometimes, reset an area of product, put up discount coupons, etc. One has set times, other is flexible to fit my schedule to a large degree -- may have a 5 dy window to perform & report work -- time & day my choice. Nice, as when you get up on a farm you may have "surprises" to take care of, so I adjust my work.......go in at noon not nine, change the date, etc.

Much depends on where you live, also, and what's available.

I feel the doctor suggested this to make you engage other people and your own mindset. Once you re-direct your focus, the funk will become less of an issue. Also, be sure to watch that you are eating well! This is an area that often slips by without you even noticing it is happening -- especially being home alone! Yes, your plate is full at home BUT you will be able to do more and find an interest after you shock yourself back into living again. Won't happen fast but, soon. Just a couple days will work. It does help. My mother lived with me with Altzhimers for past 5 yrs and now is in an assisted living as I could no longer give her the care she needed and deserved as it was 24/7 then. The past yr I could see the more rapid move to severe needs and had began searching for a place. It became apparent that this was what was needed -- it's hard but, work helps you to know you can survive....I can see just how much I had "altered" during those years. It's not a time in our lives when we can set-aside everything or we, too, will be in a hole that we can't climb out of. Yes -- PT anything.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Prayer said. Kudos for facing your funk head-on. It takes a lot of courage just to admit there is a problem and a lot more to ask for help.

I agree with mini-horses....maybe part-time will get you some socialization, some extra money and still leave you some time to live the life you want and enjoy the critters!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was going to suggest part time work also. Full time just wouldn't work with everything you have going at home.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Mini Horses I've been thinking about the nursing thing a lot. i can make in one day what i would have to work 3 days for. call me lazy or realize that i don't want to be away from home that much. was thinking i could find somewhere to work every other weekend. but first I'm going to take that trip to wv.
got the winters hay in the barn this week. not as easy as it sounds. first had to clean 2 years worth of old loose hay off the floor and put new pallets down to keep the new stuff off the ground. this years hay is i good grass mix with a lot of lespedeza in it. the goats think its pretty good. while i was cleaning out the old hay i found an old snake skin and pulled it out and threw it outside where Katie found it. i looked over and she was growling, barking and bouncing at something and got emma, the little house mutt puppy into the fracas. emma was snapping and biting at it and got a piece stuck on her lip and she just knew she was bitten and flung herself and the skin backwards. i laughed at them so hard there were tears running down my leg. of course then i had to tell them both what good dogs they were. goofy girls.
DD and SIL are coming in this weekend. i hope all goes well. nothing broken or run over with the lawnmower;)
we are suppose to finally get to dispatching the last of my young rabbits. will let you know how that works out.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Must be that time of year - big ol snakeskin in my feed/milk room too. Gracie, our newest dog, discovered it. She started out very tentatively with it... pawing at it and yipping. Now, after a few days that snake skin is in tatters and she's waaaay too bold. Hope she doesn't think a real live snake will be that easy to deal with!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
GG, too bad you didn't get them on video! You could have maybe won some money.

Glad you were able to get all your hay in. It's been so dry here I'm having problems finding hay. I have someplace I may be able to get it, I'll just have to pay more than I wanted to. But, at least they'll load if for me. I still need 60 bales.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hate snakes. Month ago found large skin in barn, week later found the (?prob?) snake in coop. 6' black rat draped across 4 nest boxes. Shooood it out with warning. 2 days later, back again and this time I killed with my machete. Yeah, bad & sad -- but, could not live with it & didn't want to share eggs either. Hens were unsettled also. I was a mess with nerves.

I have lined up my hay but while off this week (all this wkend, really unusual) it is raining. Need rain -- but, on my days off?
Well, pickup has been put off. Schedule has next week looking like "maybe" I can pick up.

Goats made couple new "access holes" in an old fence that was to be replaced soon and soon has become a lot closer! The horses don't crawl under, these goats do. In fact, may be the most popular method to leave a field, LOL. The ones in milk are far less likely to belly out!! I understand but, those guys I had selected for freezer camp my be going sooner if they don't stop this crap.

My DS was here about 10 days working a job for someone couple miles away (he's a framer, roofer, etc.) and now gone so I can have quiet again. Says he will be back next Sat to do some heavy frame repairs on a combo equipment shed on front and run-in barn on back. Lumber all here, needs done before cold and sooner the better. Will be glad to get that completed as I have several pieces of equipment I want to shelter. THEN, there's the solar boxes for the water tubs....
most of which I will do. Winter prep + repairs....working.

Deb -- nursing pays more & you use skills you have -- just be careful to select a situation that is not depressing. Many nurses go thru such issues and you bring it home. The work suggestion was more to "reassociate" with happy people. Rarely do you nurses have this situation. My PT is NOT my fields of training but, I go in do a job, feel accomplishment, see happy people, go home & leave it all behind as far as further commitment/concerns, etc. Plus, I could quit tomorrow and not have left anything behind that would need attention. No guilt, LOL. For ME it works. We each need our own outlet & I wish you the best, no matter your choice.

Rainy Sat off. So, could work inside as there is plenty to do.
Novel idea

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
well the kids were here over the weekend and all went well. nothing broken or run over, lol. we went to town on Saturday and just fiddled around. ate at a Mexican place that is usually good and it was really horrible. oh well, at least we didn't have to cook.
got the 7 grow out bunnies packed for freezer camp on Sunday, yea!!! decided that a 22 may be a little bit to much power for dispatching. will have to rethink that. that afternoon SIL deep fried a turkey and DS#1 and DS#3 came over and ate with us. was a good evening.
every few years i order new chickens to replenish/replace my old girls. earlier this spring i ordered chicks from MurryMcMurry hatchery. silverlaced wyandottes, rhode island reds, new hamphshire reds, barred rocks and dark Cornish. the new hampshires and the dark Cornish are an experiment. time will tell as to whether i get them again. only got 30 babies so I'm not overrun with young chickens but close. i also got some black and blue maran, lavender orpington and Swedish flower eggs for the incubator as well as hatching some of my own barnyard mixes. going to have several young roos to butcher later this fall. not really looking forward to that but like to eat chicken so we all make choices. also have 25 young ducks in the grow out pen. they are kind of like the bunnies, to cute for my own good.
@Mini Horses, i will never go back to the hospital much less ICU but they need nurses to give flu shots etc around here in the fall and i was thinking about that. also thought about selling plants at lowe's or home depot. will have to wait and see.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Flu shots -- yes! you can talk to all those old geezers :p

I'm not a nurse but, give approx. 80 "flu shots" a yr to my horses, goats, friends horses, etc. Practice makes perfect! Most don't even flinch --

THAT's the kind of nursing job you need. Sometimes they do these BP & sugar test screenings too.......there ya go!!