Splain your user name!

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
THEFAN was the name I used when I first got onto the net 10 yrs ago. I was pretty big into collection gijoe 80's toys. I WAS BIG TIME into it so THEFAN was born. So now I can say THEFAN of many things. :)

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
miss_thenorth said:
Dace said:
Sorry to shake things up folks :p

I knew that everyone read my name incorrectly, heck the entire world does... but I hadn't really thought about clarifying until this thread came up!
You had mentioned it when you first joined this site waaay back when, cuz I always still correct myself, since then. It's very unique. :)
i'm not sure we should let you off the hook so easily Dace (not ace)... so where'd it come from? family name? special meaning? wacky family? short for something???

:)
:pop

HannaLee

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use a different username most everywhere but here. I wanted to try something new when I joined.

HannaLee has two meanings. First, I love the name Hannah, but my husband didn't want to name any of our many girls by that name, so I thought it might as well be mine on the web!
Secondly, it brings to mind (auditory-ily at least) the old Peter, Paul and Mary song that I loved in my childhood.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
miss_thenorth said:
Dace said:
Sorry to shake things up folks :p

I knew that everyone read my name incorrectly, heck the entire world does... but I hadn't really thought about clarifying until this thread came up!
You had mentioned it when you first joined this site waaay back when, cuz I always still correct myself, since then. It's very unique. :)
i'm not sure we should let you off the hook so easily Dace (not ace)... so where'd it come from? family name? special meaning? wacky family? short for something???

:)
Really? you wanna go there?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yep! lets hear it. i'll even trade ya.

i come from a family that never calls anyone or anything by their correct name. this sent The Big Man's mother into fits - he has a name that you cant easily make a nickname out of... so we changed it entirely. she nearly had a stroke at a family event when everyone called him Sam. and i have an Uncle Dood. like before it was Dude.

so

my little bro had his first baby and instead of waiting for a silly nick name.. they named him... Mookie. no kidding. technically its his middle name but thats what we call him. or Mooks. or The Major Mooper. oh i could go on and on.

please explain the dossie not d-ace. we promise to still love you and tease you mercilessly. i mean, be extremely supportive and loving
;-)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ok, OFG...you think you are having trouble adjusting to Dossie.....

My mom had a friend in middle school named Dace but it was pronounced Dotsie ( Dot- see) and she just loved that name. So when I came along she named me Dace (Dotsie) I always had to explain my name and give the proper pronunciation, teachers, new friends, friends parents...you name it.
I have NEVER met anyone with my name and my mom tells me that it is Swedish but I ahve never cared enough to find out :rolleyes:

About the time I hit 9th grade I was sooo over my name. I started going by Dossie because at least some one had a slight chance of reading it correctly (never happens but this was my thinking at the time) and it seemed easier to remember. Not.

So I met Hubby when I was in 10th grade and going by Dossie.....and it has just stuck. Everyone in my world calls me Dossie except my family (mom, aunts, uncles, cousins)where I am still Dotsie or Dots for short.

When I had my kids the golden rule in naming them was that you HAD to be able to read it and pronounce it easily!

Glad you asked? Now you have one more pronunciation floating around in your brain. :p

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I LOVE IT!!!!

hee hee hee and what a fun story! and good for you for naming the kids bob or mary or anything but some crazy thing. so we'll chalk it up to wacky family.
;-)

and just wait - you'll end up with grandkids named Moby Obadiah or Solie or something

and i love that you met the hubby in 10th grade. i've loved The Big Man since we were 16...or maybe a smidge earlier than that. it took him until we were 40 to marry me tho. he was very stubborn.
;-)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i know! i cant believe he waited for me! he always said he knew i'd be back.

;-)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Awwww! Sweet story!

Everyone here has about 5 different nick names. The crazy St.-turned-LGD started out as Kate (as in Kate Moss b/c she was skin and bones when we got her). She quickly turned into "Katie Cuckoo" b/c she was nuts, that turned into "Kookie Mookie" (we have a "Mookie" too.) then just Mooks. It has evolved again and we now just call her McGee. No wonder she is cuckoo!

My dd is Samantha or Sam or Sambo or Mambo Sue, or Mantha-Mau, or Mammy. She answers to all. :p