Sprouted Wheat Berry Flour, Grain Mills, and Bread

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Spelt is an ancient grain. It was abandoned in favor of modern wheat because a) modern wheat has the highest yield per acre of all grains, I believe. and b) Spelt is much more difficult to thresh, (in fact, most spelt is organic because insects have a hard time breaking through the bran to get to the grain, making it unnecessary to apply pesticides

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
$40 grain mill results. This is as fine as I could get it. It spews millings all over! I'm washing it, repacking, and returning. Kitchenaid attachment is looking good right now.
View attachment 16830
After reading Kitchenaid reviews, I think I will keep the $40 grain mill. Kitchenaid reviews are that its very slow - 7 minutes per pound, but after 3 passes, it can take all day because the Kitchenaid motor has to cool. The $40 manual one does 1# per minute, just is coarse and messy. I could quickly do coarse grind woth the manual before putting it into the kitchenaid.

What do you think?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Soggy dough 😬 I was able to shape a loaf but I'm doubtful of this attempt. I sprouted 3 cups wheat berries since my recipe calls for 3 cups flour. It swelled and doubled in size. I put 3 cups sprouted wheat berries in Ninja food processor bowl. Didnt work. Added 1/2 cup of water since recipe calls for 1 cup water and the wheat absorbed some water already. That worked. I ran it for 2 minutes and the texture was like thick steel cut oats.

I used 1 T yeast, 1 t salt, 2 T maple syrup, 2 T avocado oil. Kept it simple so there are fewer variables to adjust.
20211014_200018.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did you try a bite of the crust? Since it was at least cooked, I would have had to try a bite of it. LOL You keep playing with it and you will figure it out.

@CrealCritter sprouted, dried wheat berries that are ground into flour is called spelt. You can buy it. @tortise is trying to make her own. Sprouting the wheat changes it, people that cannot eat wheat can often eat spelt with no issues.