Sprouted Wheat Berry Flour, Grain Mills, and Bread

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You would be surprised how much grain a 30 x 90 area would yield at harvest , dual purpose besides the grain you would have wheat straw .

it also makes a great cover crop and when turned under it is a very good soil conditioner. i wish i could get Mom to let me plant winter-wheat and winter-rye as cover crops (along with other things too), but she is very stuck in her ways and doesn't like how they go. i think they look so much better than bare dirt.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
After 2nd rise. I'm not liking the big air bubbles.
20211014_211015.jpg

Then reshaped the loaf, and hope oven proofing is sufficient because its late and I'm tired.

20211014_211139.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Total fail! :gig Way too much moisture. It was thick overbaked crust on top and bread pudding the rest of the way through. :gig I hope my chickens appreciate it. :gig

I will try letting the blendered wheat dough rest before I add yeast. I think it's going to take a lot more time to develop the dough. I need to try ways to reduce moisture. I don't want to dehydrate the wheat berries. I could try using the blender instead of food processor bowl and try using less liquid. I could try letting it rise on my counter instead of my bread machine - it would take longer and lose more moisture.
Just a thought... Sprout, dry, then mill? Sprouts dry out in a few hours in direct sunlight. I think you might be on to something. Maybe some new health food craze or something.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸