Sprouted Wheat Berry Flour, Grain Mills, and Bread

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wow....I'm just gonna watch this venture unfold. Seems y'all need something to do that I don't. :lol: but love the energy.

I'm thinking those sprouts need to dry some before grinding....dump on a towel?
I put a batch of sprouted wheat berries on my pizza crisper pan overnight and it wasn't enough. I use my dehydrator. I will try a towel. I'm not keen on using a lot of electricity for processing grain.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wow....I'm just gonna watch this venture unfold. Seems y'all need something to do that I don't. :lol: but love the energy.

I'm thinking those sprouts need to dry some before grinding....dump on a towel?
I haven't learned any new SS skills in a long time. I's time for some challenges!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I soaked coarse flour in the amount of water for a bread recipe. I left it in the fridge overnight. DS14 washed dishes and lost the bread machine paddle. I don't have time to make it by hand today.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The Kitchenaid heats up? I think I'd skip that one.

Maybe you could make flat bread? Roll it out thin like a tortilla?

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I soaked coarse flour in the amount of water for a bread recipe. I left it in the fridge overnight. DS14 washed dishes and lost the bread machine paddle. I don't have time to make it by hand today.
Bread machine paddle has been found! 🙌 Can't wait to try it tomorrow. Same recipe, difference being letting the flour and liquid soak and rest.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Winter White is lighter than the Red. DH sifts his flour when he uses the Red; just enough to remove the larger pieces of bran, without removing ALL of it, so it makes a lighter loaf but still fiber-rich. We use the sifted bran to soak up grease from pans so we don't run it down the drain. The chickens love the grease-soaked bran.

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a wondermill jr , which for me at the time works great , I have upgraded to a Grainmaker ( USA made ) either if you get a handcrank or lectric one homemade flour is amazing , you can make all different types , oatmeal , rice , wheat , sorghum, buckwheat etc for a fraction of the cost .

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have a wondermill jr , which for me at the time works great , I have upgraded to a Grainmaker ( USA made ) either if you get a handcrank or lectric one homemade flour is amazing , you can make all different types , oatmeal , rice , wheat , sorghum, buckwheat etc for a fraction of the cost .
Can it make rolled oats?