Sprouted Wheat Berry Flour, Grain Mills, and Bread

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wow....I'm just gonna watch this venture unfold. Seems y'all need something to do that I don't. :lol: but love the energy.

I'm thinking those sprouts need to dry some before grinding....dump on a towel?
I put a batch of sprouted wheat berries on my pizza crisper pan overnight and it wasn't enough. I use my dehydrator. I will try a towel. I'm not keen on using a lot of electricity for processing grain.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wow....I'm just gonna watch this venture unfold. Seems y'all need something to do that I don't. :lol: but love the energy.

I'm thinking those sprouts need to dry some before grinding....dump on a towel?
I haven't learned any new SS skills in a long time. I's time for some challenges!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't learned any new SS skills in a long time. I's time for some challenges!
Understand that! Plus you often are working to deal with your food needs/ restrictions. That's something many...most...of us don't have to strongly consider.

My skill expansions are more animal foods, farm produced. Well, the doing it part. We all have our goals, limits, adjustments.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
$40 grain mill results. This is as fine as I could get it. It spews millings all over! I'm washing it, repacking, and returning. Kitchenaid attachment is looking good right now.
20211023_140544.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At a smallish, country store with a butcher, saw a sign for beef fat, $1.99 lb. Saw nothing for lard or chicken fat. 🤔 surprised at that one really. Some things are hard to come by, even when no shortages!

At the price of that wheat, some expensive bread making!
I saw sprouted wheat flour at a bulk food store yesterday. $2.97/pound. 😲 That sticker shock is keeping me going right now.

I'm trying the coarse ground flour in a simple bread loaf. It is less-bad than my last experiment (so far). Beginning of second rise:View attachment 16832

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
$40 grain mill results. This is as fine as I could get it. It spews millings all over! I'm washing it, repacking, and returning. Kitchenaid attachment is looking good right now.
View attachment 16830
After reading Kitchenaid reviews, I think I will keep the $40 grain mill. Kitchenaid reviews are that its very slow - 7 minutes per pound, but after 3 passes, it can take all day because the Kitchenaid motor has to cool. The $40 manual one does 1# per minute, just is coarse and messy. I could quickly do coarse grind woth the manual before putting it into the kitchenaid.

What do you think?