Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope your DD is is okay and your pediatrician has a healthy fear of Lyme disease.
Thanks! She does, she’s told me in an office visit she treats pretty readily. Just waiting for the office to get their act together and call me back I would guess. They’re so busy there…

I used to make so many homemade snacks but with DS’s arrival and his um… boy-ness? Lol… I’ve gotten bad about it. He’s my wild child! But I’m starting to be able to do a bit more now, he can sort of entertain himself for a minute or two 🤣

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I love winter too and we get lots of snow. It's just a different kind of work than the work you work at the rest of the year. But my livestock all have water heaters, so maybe that's cheating... taking my coffee back to my corner now...

That's not cheating, that's called "smart".... ;) I love that difference in work, the change in how the air feels and smells, the feeling of working out in the cold but getting to come back into a wood fire warmth, the change in the colors of the landscapes and the fantastic sunsets, not to mention the brilliance of the night skies in the winter. I also love how ghostly beautiful the sycamore trees are...you really can't see that when all the leaves are on the trees. I love making bread and homemade soup on a winter's day....it just smells and tastes better than when I make them at any other time of the year.

I love the challenges, beauty and changes of winter. :love

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seems birds are VERY conservative; they don't like new things. A bird is the only animal I know of that will starve itself to death rather than try a new food (not always, of course; but I've heard of it happening). That's why it was so hilarious to watch our turkeys when they finally figured out that they could drink water from containers OTHER than the trough in the coopyard. They crowded around and tried the water, appeared to talk excitedly about it, then stormed off to the next plant saucer/mudhole/wading pool/whatever for most of the day... it was like watching a bunch of tourists visiting the wineries in Napa Valley.

... finishes off the last of the mint tea and gathers everything together to go to sleep. Nighty night

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready! Yesterday we took the dump trailer that we have "borrowed" for the last 5 years home. LOL The owner was happy for us to keep it as our place is totally fenced and enclosed and his place isn't, thieves ya' know. So he needs to use it and we took it to him. LOL LOL

Then we came home, heated up leftovers for lunch. I got to thinking, watching weather reports, Thanksgiving and what day would be best for making a feed run and I decided that it was right then. So we went to get feed, we go to another town an hour away because I have fed a particular feed for 20 years and you can't pry my hands off of it. It is a 14% all purpose pellet and I give it to all the animals, horses, sheep, chickens and when we have feeder pigs, them too. It does not have lysine, an essential pig nutrient in it, so I fix that by tossing the pigs boiled eggs. Plus it is cheaper than all the different feeds that the feed industry has convinced us that we should buy for each animal. So we bought 1250 pounds, or 25 bags of feed. I unloaded all of it and would not let DH help, because of his eye surgery. You would have thought the world was ending. We put feed in the portable building that the sheep barn is attached to and feed in the horse barn. Got that chore done.

Was getting a bale of hay delivered for the sheep, it goes under their roof and I have to dig out the "dead hay" as the roof is low and the big bale won't fit otherwise. So this morning I have a heaping pile of dead hay to spread in the horse pasture, again, DH can't help because of all the dust and floating particles that might get in his eye. Then we go to the Dr for another eye check up, on Monday, he gets cataract surgery on his other eye. Anyone contemplating cataract surgery should not waffle on the decision, but get it done. DH is amazed at how well he can see now and is delighted at his eyesight. He is looking forward to having the other eye done, it is a whole new world to him. A few more weeks and he will be able to get back in the swing of things, small sacrifice for such life changing surgery.

Going for another cup of coffee!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good morning all! I'm actually having pumpkin pie for breakfast! Happy ThanksGiving everyone!

being an adult is so great! :)

we've decided to do the roast beast today after all. just going to get it started now. hope everyone has a nice/wonderful/peaceful/safe day.