SS Garden thread 2010, post your pics here!!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's a great idea!

I can't believe that WI is already popping up veggies. I can't plant mine yet, even tho our last frost date was last weekend, it supposed to be down in the low to mid 30's the next couple of nights. A storm from Alaska has swept down into CA.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I got some things done, taters baskets completed, and even planted trees and onions before all hell broke loose.

I have the plants in the green house, garden needs a till over, short growing season here, and maybe this year I would give up if it wasn't for dad and I giving each other a hard time. This is the toughest grow season for me, and so it is.

I need to take some photos to share later this week!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I am so going to try this method next time. I have hilled up and hilled up, and yet still the plants are falling over. It's almost time to harvest; maybe that's part of it. But your way plus my rototiller will be great ! Can't wait to see your results.
Having worked enough potato harvests that I can still, decades later, clearly hear the digger coming towards me and the air harvester's roar.....It will comfort you to know that a potato grows a vine and it is supposed to flop over and fall along the hills near harvest time. At least that is how the miles of rows that I picked as a kid looked! :p

Tortoise, you may have some difficulty digging those taters since they will be buried so deep. Loving an experiment any day of the week, I can't wait to see how this one turns out. I may have to plant a few myself even though I can no longer eat them without serious distress to my battered GI system.

Hmmmm.....where can I buy organic 'taters locally? Hmmm.....think-think-think.....

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I bet that potato method could make the dirt grow even farther if you made layers of straw and then dirt and then straw. Might be easier to dig out as well.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi jay!!!

I dug my early planted potatoes yesterday. The plans were having issues and I just had to see what was down there. Not much. There were about a handful of little potatoes. Maybe if the plants had held up through the end of summer it would have produced more. I have others planted and from real seed potatoes so maybe they will produce better.

After fixing the mess my dog made in my raised beds things are looking ok. My poor little carrots are a bit discombobulated and I lost 2 tomato sprouts. Roma's I think.

My green beans are starting to go, the plants were tiny for a long time but now with a bit of warm weather they look better.

I have been planting in containers all over the place. Just trying to see what might grow. I even planted some cantaloupe in an old straw bale. It was in the yard from ds archery practice. I turned it on it's side and made a pile of mulch on top. Then just threw a bunch of seeds all over it. Someone mentioned planting this way around here. We will see what happens.

I can't get my pics to up load. I have no idea what the problem is. Bummer.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blackberries are red, getting ready to ripen
1343_almost_ripe.jpg

Our potato patch in the front garden. We've already been grannying out small taters to take to market
1343_front_potato_patch.jpg

This is the row of white half runner beans we plant down the entire length of the barbed wire fence (ouch) between us and our neighbors. They're planted at 3 different times so we'll always have fresh for market.
1343_green_bean_row.jpg

We've also got pole beans growing in the back garden. They are reaching for the sky on the strings we put up for them. There is corn planted in the back garden also with pink half runners growing up their stalks.
Here's the first planting of corn. It's now started to top and the 1st tiny ears have started coming on.
1343_1st_corn_patch.jpg

Started harvesting squash (yellow and zuccinni). Patty pans should be ready to pick today to take to afternoon market. The fence beside the squash is for the cukes to climb. We got them out late but they're coming along.
1343_squash_zuccini.jpg

Our lettuce and spinach has been picked out, all onions pulled and sold and garlic leaves are turning brown, so we've started harvesting it. We're getting lots of beets and cabbage. More spinach has been planted and I've ordered another kind that can withstand the heat. I'm going to try my hand at kohlrabi (?) for fall.
I got my first ripe tomato Monday and ate it on a salad (yum). Also got my first green pepper and sold it at Saturday's market.
Eggplants have started to set fruit. Had to dust with DE to kill potato bugs off of them.

It's been hot and dry around here. Ruined our greens (we managed to pick at least 3 bushels (kale, mustard, turnip)) for market , so they've been plowed under and peanuts put in their place.

Okra's about 6 inches tall. It'll work me to death when it starts coming in.

I've got rhubarb, artichokes, and spaghetti squash all growing at the side of the house so hubby won't plow them under. He gets intense at times. :he

One of our customers has been buying kale and spinach from us and she's been making breakfast smoothies with them. She brought us a sample to market Saturday and it was really good. She puts bananas and strawberries in it. It looked icky and green, but tasted great.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is our 5th year. Hubby got a dump truck this year so he's finally able to get horse manure for the compost pile without shoveling it off one shovel load at a time. Because of all the rain this spring (early on) he built 4 more raised beds. We can use hoops with plastic next year to get a earlier start.

We call our farm Li'l Half-Acre Farm because all our beds, rows, and plots average to about 1/2 acre out of the 2 we own. Of course that doesn't count the 3 cherry bushes I've put out in the front flower bed and the herb garden beside the front porch, or the new bed I made for the artichokes, rhubarb, etc. I've also got 7 raspberry vines to get planted.

This year we took advantage of the fence on the other side of our garden to plant tomato, pepper, and eggplants in plastic, so that's not counted in the 1/2 acre either.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Bohemian breakfast in the garden this AM... eating directly off of the Black Raspberry bushes!! :drool Not a single one went in the basket! :D

So begins the berry harvest at my garden.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
This was my garden after first plowing. The green you see is White Dutch, Red and Yellow Sweet Clover growing as a cover crop. These will be my walking paths. I just plowed right into the clover for the rows.

5508_garden_rows_morning_sun_001.jpg

This is the sheep's winter pen, plowed for growing sweet corn and pumpkins.

5508_garden_rows_morning_sun_015.jpg

Right now I have very few things actually growing big in the garden due to the lack of rain...which is being corrected today, thank the good Lord!

So far, up and growing are pumpkins, corn~both sweet and popcorn, beans, potatoes, lettuces, onions, radishes, spinach, rhubarb, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, squash, cukes, sunflowers, peas, dill, carrots, broccoli, annual flowers, wildflower mix, ornamental gourds.

To be planted: More potatoes, more peppers, more carrots, lettuce, radishes, spinach, cilantro, dill, basil, squash and peas.