SS Garden thread 2010, post your pics here!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ok, Wifezilla, now you've got me curious. How do you make a redneck-style wall-o-water?
You surround your tomato plants with recycled 2 liter bottles filled with water :D

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This was my garden last year before the weeds took over and just about murdered everything except the carrots, brussels, tomatos and some peas lol

garden.jpg

Before the front garden started to get planted up with herbs, some vegetables, and lupins, etc. It's a potager garden, the porch leads right into the kitchen.

frontgarden.jpg

Rhubarb in the background there... these 2 Rhubarbs are enormous beasts

rhubarb.jpg

Right now everything is under about 6-8 inches of crusty/icey snow. :(

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi lupinfarm, What fertilizer do you use for your rhubarb? I cna't seem to get it to grow well and I love it. Thanks, Ohioann

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ohioann said:
Hi lupinfarm, What fertilizer do you use for your rhubarb? I cna't seem to get it to grow well and I love it. Thanks, Ohioann
Oh um none lol We inherited the Rhubarb and have done nothing with it but let it grow, cut it back, and use it in the kitchen haha. I might bed it out with some horse manure this spring though. This place was a fully working farm up until about 20 years ago and I don't even think the old owners would have done anything with it, and no one certainly did anything with the rhubarb when the owners before us lived here. Probably the most anyone has ever put on it is horse or cow manure lol.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My rhubarb grows well with neglect. Comes up in the middle of the yard too. I have to be careful NOT to mow it! I have heard it can be fickle in some parts of the world.

Also lupin, is that a cold frame built with old hay and a french door??? That is a really cool idea! Plus you can grow stuff in the top of the hay too.

Very cool, in fact, I think I'm going to GoodWill to look for a french door!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
My rhubarb grows well with neglect. Comes up in the middle of the yard too. I have to be careful NOT to mow it! I have heard it can be fickle in some parts of the world.

Also lupin, is that a cold frame built with old hay and a french door??? That is a really cool idea! Plus you can grow stuff in the top of the hay too.

Very cool, in fact, I think I'm going to GoodWill to look for a french door!
lmfao yes it is! The french door was the front door on our house and I think it's still hanging around here somewhere. My peas grew like crazy-mad in that cold frame and I kept all my seedlings in it from the nursery until it was warm enough out to plant them. I layered the bottom with horse and chicken poop and then a layer of hay on that to keep it nice and hot.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I side dress mine with horse poo as well in the fall/spring. This year will be my first full harvest, as its only two years old.

This stuff is just so yummy, DW never had it before. Than I made a strawberry rhubarb pie, smack down a big ole dollop of ice cream. She loves it!!! Grandpa use to pickle it as well, but no recipe to share.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can someone share how to prepare Rhubarb? Mom never fixed it and I've seen it at the store a couple of time and would like to try it..but I don't know what to do with it. Some help please? Do you peel and chop? How far down do you peel? How much do you chop off (like carrots - you cut of the top and bottom - do you do the same with Rhubarb?)