SS Garden thread 2010, post your pics here!!

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dscn1728.jpg

My indoor plants

dscn1729.jpg

dscn1730.jpg

Tomatoes

dscn1741.jpg

Such good help! I think that poor plant got transplanted at least a dozen times.

dscn1760.jpg

dscn1761.jpg

My new greenhouse! These were taken before I got the ends put on. Best part is, I spent less than $30!

dscn1762.jpg

Raised beds with garden in the background. I need to put some straw down between the beds to keep the grass down. The first row of four are the kids' gardens. They each have their own to plant what ever they want. Currently the middle row has potatoes, strawberries, and peas. Back row has broccoli and spinach, cauliflower and lettuce, and onions and lettuce.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That red dirt is awful stuff. The kids' clothes are all stained red, there is nothing that gets it out. White and light colored clothes are not allowed at my house!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Mom used to hate it when we went to my grandmothers. She had a hill we loved to slide down. We came home with red clay all over and Mom would scrub and bleach and still couldn't get it out of our socks and pants. That stuff's a killer and we're right in the heart of it. There's an area south of us known as Brickmill and yep, they made bricks out of that clay.

Luckily where we live, the dirt is a nice brown but we have white clay at the back side of our property. Gary has spent years composting that area to get it into to the point we could plant in it.

Yesterday the front garden was dry enough that he was able to till it up and get the leaves worked into the soil. THe chickens had a hey-day. Maybe spring will make it after all. Today's supposed to be sunny again, but rain expected tomorrow.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
valmom said:
Ack. All these nice warm looking pictures. And green! We are snow and/or mud still. I don't even dare start plants indoors yet- I start too early every year and are taken over with leggy poorly grown plants long before time to go outside.
I am not alone!!! :hugs :)
I do the same thing too... so this year I made myself a calendar with what I can plant each week, right down to the last week before frost... I'm getting really excited now, in one more week I hit the '12 weeks til last frost' and can start planting things :weee

chicken stalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
modern_pioneer said:
valmom said:
Ack. All these nice warm looking pictures. And green! We are snow and/or mud still. I don't even dare start plants indoors yet- I start too early every year and are taken over with leggy poorly grown plants long before time to go outside.
I am not alone!!! :hugs :)
I do the same thing too... so this year I made myself a calendar with what I can plant each week, right down to the last week before frost... I'm getting really excited now, in one more week I hit the '12 weeks til last frost' and can start planting things :weee
So it's a 12 step program :lol:
What do you plant each week?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm so excited, today it was 11 degrees celcius out! And I checked the weather predictions and it looks like it's going to be nice for the rest of the month. I'm going to start some peas today, which will go out as soon as they're a few inches tall under the poly tunnel. I'm putting together the other pea bed today and starting to put up the trellis'

I'm also doing a new experiment this year, I'm going to plant a 4x4ft bed with corn under a polytunnel. Last year I planted out my tomatoes in April so I figure I could plant out corn in/around April under the polytunnel which super heats during the day and retains the heat overnight. I'll put a themometer in it tonight and see how we do overnight. do some temp recordings and get an average. the soil right now is super warm though!

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Picture003.jpg

Ok, here's my plots of dirt, complete with MP's tater growin' buckets. :D

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Way cool everyone! Just look at all that land...wow....such open space! I wanna plant potatoes too. For fun, and for eating if I'm able to grow them.

Gonna go look for some old tires.