SS Garden thread 2010, post your pics here!!

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Okiegirl1

It's kinda hard to tel becauseof the straw but how deep are your beds?

gina
ah.... 5ish" deep. give or take.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Not sure I am confident enough in what I am doing with my garden. The soil seems so dense, even though it is heavily composted. It needs to be lighter, but I am not sure if I can manage to fix it before it's too late to plant.

This is a picture of two of the four beds I have built. The fourth one is actually almost done, the third is planted to potatoes, the second in peppers on one end, leeks on the other, and still thinking about what to put in the middle.

Picture480.jpg

Been too busy building the fourth one and digging weeds, etc., as you all know,to take pictures of it. I think I am getting discouraged, because it's so hard to stoop down to plant. I tried digging a trench between two beds, but it may leak down when I water the bed. Not sure how to fix it for free.

I have been battling gophers and mice again, so I am skittish about planting yet, until I know I have eliminated them mostly. Lots of things in containers. I will just post them--you guys know what they are.

Picture549.jpg

Picture542.jpg

Four different varieties of potato, including purple, planted 6 weeks apart.

Picture546.jpg

Russetts planted a month ago in my third bed.

Picture543.jpg

Jalapenos, I think. Tags got switched as a joke. Ha. Ha.

Picture503.jpg

The survivors.

Picture536.jpg

Picture537.jpg

Picture534.jpg

Strawberries "for the kids".

Picture535.jpg

Tomatillos. I have six plants in 5 gallon buckets.

Picture512.jpg

I harvested more than 100 pods from four of the 16 coffee cans. Some pods actually had peas. I would not do this in a container again, at least not a small one. The branches got so heavy with pods that the pressure on the rim of the plastic can cut off the nutrition and most of the stems withered and died. I joke about no peas, but I did get some...about two cups of gorgeous, sweet legumes and about 60 or so pods for stir fry.

Picture540.jpg

Taking a break from building and layering beds to shoot the container garden in its infancy. Ultimately, I hope to have as many container plants as in-ground plants, just to be sure something grows.

There are days I wish I had a little help. Or were 40 years younger.

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:frow

Ldychef :frow

You are doing brilliantly -- I have been following your progress since you first started on your back-yard plans!

There are days I wish I had a little help. Or were 40 years younger.
I know the feeling! I have problems with my sense of balance along with bad eyesight so bending is a problem for me too. I have a portable kneeler which reverses into a stool -- I find this very useful & I am often found sitting amongst the weeds pulling them out........!!

Take care of yourself & enjoy your vegetables & fruit. I wish you lots of luck with them. :D

Hattie

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Wow Ldychef! You've been busy! No wonder you've been quiet on here lately :) I think it looks great. As far as stooping down to plant, can you still reach the middle of your beds if you flip over a 5 gallon bucket and use it as a seat?

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hey Lady,
what did you do to get rid of the gophers? I have those little devil spawn in my yard and have no idea how to make them DIE!!

side story......
I was walking to the mail box and I hear this ... um... I dunno,.... noise over by the tree. sounded like a mouse or something. anyway, I go look and there is this gopher right at the surface moving the dead leaves and such around. I run in the house, grab a shovel and tell my hubby "I'm killin' a gopher" so he grabs a shovel too and preceeds to hacking the thing into bits. Well, when it was over, this thing was the size or a RAT! it was huge. I had never seen one that big. - DEVIL SPAWN!- ......

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Hattie, I am so humbled that you take the time to follow my activities! Thank you!.

Yes, the bending and stooping are hindered quite a lot by pain from the low back (years of two "slipped disks"), and now this year some odd muscle pains are seriously crippling my style, from the back of the thighs all the way to the heels and ankles. I know I have Achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, and heel burstitis, but now there is pain in most of the leg muscles that is the worst pain I have ever had, and nothing seems to turn it around. Sorry for whining...I just woke up and that's when it's worse.

Anyway...cry baby stuff aside, I need to try some kind of stool or something.

Framing Fowl, I hadn't thought of a bucket. That's going to be worth a try. Thank you SO much for the suggestion. I will think about some kind of padding or a pillow to avoid the pressure pain in the back of the thighs (ischial bursitis, or a "real pain in the butt!).

When I started planning the beds, 4' across seemed comfortable, but now I think I will have to plant flowers down the center row so not so much stretching is required to tend them.

OkieGirl, I haven't gotten rid of them yet, as witnessed by the fact that the sonic gopher repeller beeped away all the while the demon from the pit was dragging my broccoli plant underground. This is his first appearance in two months, however, so that's progress. I have purchased gopher gasser sticks, but haven't figured out how to use them yet! I wonder if opening the package and reading the instructions would help ! According to the outside, the gas will kill the gophers and not harm the soil. At this point, it's worth the risk.

Edited to add that if some rodent that large poked its head out around this place, it wouldn't be long for the world. Oh.....who am I kidding. I would run for the house and scream like a girl.

I apologize for complaining this morning.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Edited to add that if some rodent that large poked its head out around this place, it wouldn't be long for the world. Oh.....who am I kidding. I would run for the house and scream like a girl.
:lol:

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ldychef2k, I love your solution for onions! I might have to give it a go in my garden. My onions are what get attacked in the garden, it's really frustrating but the animals pull them out and steal them! I don't have a gopher or groundhog problem, but someone is stealing my onions! lol.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great pictures everyone!!! :clap
Gotta get my (DD's) digital out this weenend and take some pictures. (SHE's got the great camera with the super lens! :lol: )
I am encouraged with the container planting, because that's what I'll be doing a lot more of this year. I must have learned something, 'cause I can recognize ALL of the seedlings!! :D