Sufficent Self Moderators

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I think we are doing ok, I am one who got my feathers ruffled, but then I realized it just took me using my brain to just move on to another thread and not reply! ;)

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wonder if having a Mod or two wouldn't be a good idea. Sometimes things get crazy quick, and I'd hate to see the forum suffer.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always wondered if the moderator had two usernames, so one could be fun and one acts "in charge". Who knows, I may be the moderator already.........:)

JK, i'm not :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think Farmer Chick fits the bill. I think she is very level headed and fair.

********thanks simple life

I seem level headed until I get my panties in a wad and freak out..HA HA....I like cruising thru forums without the responsibility....Ya never know what day my hormones might kick up from menapause and strike out.....I can be wierd on one day and perfect the other...depends on how much sleep or how rough the hot flashes are..HA HA---getting older is such a treasure!

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Great discussion! A few comments:

Moderators do more than just keep people in line. They do things like move posts to the correct sections, reset passwords, change usernames, etc.

So far things have been really smooth here. Hopefully they will always stay like that, but it is inevitable that someone will come in from somewhere (obviously none of you cool peeps) and try to spam the forum or cause trouble. Having a couple people with the ability to take swift action is always a good idea.

For now, adding moderators would simply be to get people in the swing of things BEFORE they are needed. Also, to help out where and when I can't be available to respond as quickly as I'd like.

In general, here are two threads at BYC that discuss what we look for in moderators:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13536

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39103

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I was a regular on a forum a long time ago....it started innocently enough, and then I began to realize I couldn't be myself when responding, because people see "moderator" and instantly think you are in a position of more knowledge, and more power, therefore taking what you say to heart. Then it sometimes backfires, lol.

I know mods move threads, and keep spammers at bay, so why not just have someone do that part? Maybe using a "forum maintenance" title, or something along those lines? I just don't see the need for mods...not as far as argueing goes. I think although some of us may read a post wrong, or get 'bent' on occassion, we tend to step back and regroup, or inquire as to what was meant. From what I've seen, we mod ourselves pretty well.

So IMO...maybe just a 'maintenance' person? That way, they can still be themselves, and not have so much pressure.