Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
After 8 years of owning turkeys, I finally ate one of my home grown ones!

Christmas dinner:
A1981A34-EF55-4F58-8222-F1EF91BBDA26.jpeg

New Year’s Day soup:
(This turkey’s name was Soup, btw.)
FF18EC72-2BCA-41FD-82D8-0028D9316D49.jpeg

And turkey broth for my first time ever pressure canning:
2A725C4E-82ED-4EAE-BAFC-24CAFDE9A218.jpeg

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My eleven hens and oops rooster are now five months old. Four of the hens are laying. For two days now!! Small blue eggs and maybe a kinda green one!! On the floor of the coop and one in the poop box.

DD said she's not gonna eat them if I keep the rooster. She doesn't want to find embryos in her eggs. I told her that won't happen as long as its so cold out.

Time to set up the nesting boxes.

LizGio

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here visiting from BYC. I have 25 chickens. Some are awaiting culling as we have 7 roos.

4 BLRW (2 roos)
2 Australorp (1 roo)
1 barred boy, probably a rock
1 olive egger roo
3 ee
2 silkie x ee cross
2 sapphire gems
1 GC
1 RIR
5 silkies (2 roo)
2 gray pullets, one with muffs
1GLW

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My eleven hens and oops rooster are now five months old. Four of the hens are laying. For two days now!! Small blue eggs and maybe a kinda green one!! On the floor of the coop and one in the poop box.

DD said she's not gonna eat them if I keep the rooster. She doesn't want to find embryos in her eggs. I told her that won't happen as long as its so cold out.

Time to set up the nesting boxes.

Have to incubate at correct temp for about 3 days before you could see anything. If they are collected every day it doesn't matter. Even every other day. I toss day 3 eggs to the ravens.

You could mention to your daughter that there are many threads on BYC from people hatching store bought eggs. Not even eggs marked fertile. Just el cheapo eggs.

Some producers have different colored roosters for every so many hens so that they can do quick head counts. Others roosters just slip through and are with the hens.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I found an embryo in an egg once. They had been on the kitchen counter in a basket for at least a week (unwashed eggs are fine at room temp for a month). But... it was summer and HOT.

The embryo looked **exactly** like a cooked garbanzo bean. And now I know why garbanzo beans are called "chickpeas" 🤢