SufficientSelf.com Forum Ideas, Feedback, Suggestions

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Forgive me if I missed it, but I didn't see a section for gardening - maybe broken into segments for insects/disease, propagation,etc.
This site has great potential!

Alaska Animal Lover

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love this site~
Some things I have been researching lately on my own, are;
root cellaring
alternative heat sources(including building plans for wood stoves)
emergency preparedness(food/water supply, first aid kit, etc.)
I love the other topics so far! Should there be a hunting area? I'm not a hunter, but when it comes down to it, that is the ultimate sufficient self......

newchickwi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
What a great idea for a forum! So glad I took a moment out of real life to check into the BYC forum--and to find this! I like the catagories mentioned so far; I can't think of anything to add right now. Thanks Nifty for the new forum!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
hoosier said:
Forgive me if I missed it, but I didn't see a section for gardening - maybe broken into segments for insects/disease, propagation,etc.
This site has great potential!
Hoosier, if you go to the OTHER sister site, The Easy Garden, you will find what you seek!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hey Beekissed, sorry to to hear you were feeling down. You should go sit by that beautiful waterfall you have. For those that don't know, Beekissed has a beatiful, serene property and I am green with envy.:)

I like the direction this site is taking. I actually just read a book on root cellaring as well.
There should probably be a section just for perserving.
I would head it as Preserving and then have the categories.

Perserving Food:eek:r Putting It Up
Canning
Freezing
Dehydrating/Drying
Root Cellaring

Then for cooking you could have a section for questions and answers and a recipe swap page.

Home Cookin:
Questions and answers
Recipe Swap

Maybe there could be section called From Scratch or Makin it from Scratch or Wanna Make it From Scratch.where you could ask people how to make anything in particular from scratch.
Or maybe Can This Be Done? where you can ask how to make something or do something and people can try to brainstorm on that particular subject.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
All very good ideas!!!! I like the idea of separate categories but these forums don't seem to allow enough space for that much diversity in the menus. I would like to see a separate category for each animal/livestock, for beekeeping, for breadmaking, etc. I hope everyone gets what they want with this forum and it becomes a great place to exchange ideas for self-sufficiency. It will be like reading Countryside magazine but everyday will be a new issue!!!

I would also like to see a link beside Recent Post (at the bottom of each page) called My Post, that will return you back to your posts that you were in the middle of reading when you posted something. Right now you have to hit recent post, scroll down to reach the My Post again, so on and so forth....that gets time consuming!

TSL, thanks for the compliments to the property! You are so kind! :bouquet My place is soooo humble compared to a lot of folks'. We are what is known as "too poor to paint, too proud to whitewash"! :lol:

Latest posts