SufficientSelf.com Forum Ideas, Feedback, Suggestions

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
One thing I noticed on any of these forums is no matter what you need to know you can pretty much ask it anyway even if there isn't a real designated place for it and someone will reply.In that sense everyone will get to ask what they want anyway. The basis of this site is self sufficiency so anything within that area is covered and we could always ask it in the Everything Else Self Sufficiency.
I am so glad that this site is up, I am the only person I know that is into self sufficiency, I am slowly converting my husband but thats about it. I am the only person I know that even does canning or owns chickens,never mind anything else. So this will be great.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nifty, there are some folks back on the BYC that are having some technical difficulties with getting registered and logged on this site. Can they address these issues to the usual forum issues category on BYC to get answers to their questions about this site?

mdbucks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
the simple life said:
I am the only person I know that even does canning or owns chickens,never mind anything else. So this will be great.
Me thinks you need to get out more, I am a hermit and I know Some that do the anything else at least. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know about that....I'm pretty much a lonely SS myself and I live in the middle of hillbilly country. Folks seem to sneer at the old ways and I am considered somewhat of an oddity where I live....right smack dab in the middle of Nowhere, USA. If there were anybody doing all these things in my vicinity, I wouldn't need to come on a forum to talk about all this! I know of which you speak, Simple Life! Most folks consider me a hippy because I don't use a bread machine to make my bread! :p

Alaska Animal Lover

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So, I have been thinking of nicknames for under our usernames.

I thought of something like..
City Dweller
Out in the Suburbs
In the Country
Homesteader

:idunno Still thinking!

Alaska Animal Lover

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh, and what do you think of having a place to list SS books and magazines. Not to sell, just for others to reference........?

amyquilt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
risurocket said:
I don't know, should we keep the livestock section over at BYC? Since there is so much crossover, this could turn into the spill over site... no offense intended - my coffee hasn't kicked in to help with brainstorming yet....hmm maybe there should be a livestock section over here, otherwise we would constantly be referring people back over there even if they weren't interested in chickens... hmmm. *shrug* more coffee.... ;)
There could be some crossover, but yet there could be people that join this group that don't belong to the others. They could find this through search engines, or links on peoples blogs, etc, and never have found the others due to different things they searched.

amyquilt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Alaska Animal Lover said:
Oh, and what do you think of having a place to list SS books and magazines. Not to sell, just for others to reference........?
Good idea...Category name could be:
Recommended Reading, Good Reads, For Reference or Library

Then of course they'll likely be a BST category that thing for sale could be listed under.

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
amyquilt said:
risurocket said:
I don't know, should we keep the livestock section over at BYC? Since there is so much crossover, this could turn into the spill over site... no offense intended - my coffee hasn't kicked in to help with brainstorming yet....hmm maybe there should be a livestock section over here, otherwise we would constantly be referring people back over there even if they weren't interested in chickens... hmmm. *shrug* more coffee.... ;)
There could be some crossover, but yet there could be people that join this group that don't belong to the others. They could find this through search engines, or links on peoples blogs, etc, and never have found the others due to different things they searched.
I was going to same the same thing about the suggestion of canning/preserving, since there's a thread about that at The Easy Garden.

Which btw, could you put a link to TEG at the top of this site like you do for BYC?

As a member of all three, it's nice to easily navigate that way.