SufficientSelf.com Forum Ideas, Feedback, Suggestions

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
mdbucks, I get out quite a bit considering I have 7 children and I meet alot of people through their activities and where I attend church. It just doesn't happen where I live, to the point where people rib me about a self sufficient life style and I am not even on the extreme end of it or I would be off the grid.
We ( a handful of people) tried to get a wind farm here in town after they shut down the Naval Air Station and the town was trying to decide what to do with the land. The town and the people voted against it and now its going to be a Hollywood style movie studio.
Does that give you any insight to where I live?

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Nifty, we need a button at the top of the easy garden site to switch over to this site. More people would check it out if they just had to click over to see what this site was about. Not to mention its easier for the members to go from one site to another.:)

risurocket

Power Conserver
Reaction score
amyquilt said:
There could be some crossover, but yet there could be people that join this group that don't belong to the others. They could find this through search engines, or links on peoples blogs, etc, and never have found the others due to different things they searched.
Yup. after that coffee, crossover became a good idea. ;) I totally agree. It's very odd to discover posts that I might have posted on a google search. weird stuff....but good.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
the simple life said:
mdbucks, I get out quite a bit considering I have 7 children and I meet alot of people through their activities and where I attend church. It just doesn't happen where I live, to the point where people rib me about a self sufficient life style and I am not even on the extreme end of it or I would be off the grid.
We ( a handful of people) tried to get a wind farm here in town after they shut down the Naval Air Station and the town was trying to decide what to do with the land. The town and the people voted against it and now its going to be a Hollywood style movie studio.
Does that give you any insight to where I live?
TSL, that is sooo funny!! I see what you mean, now! You are dealing with city folks and I'm dealing with country folks who can't wait to be city folks! :lol: I get some benefits from it, though....I was given loads of good canning jars, a pressure canner, a juicer and, yet to come, a Vitamix! from someone who no longer sees any merit in canning one's own food. The way the boxes look, I doubt if she ever had....I think these were her mother's things!!! Can you imagine!? She tried to give me a breadmaker....seems even that is too much work. I refused it, though, as I would never use it...its quicker for me to make mine by hand! :)

grindlefamily

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
How about one for ideas specific to intown (city) folk? I know we try to do as much towards the green as we can, including the garden and the chickens. other ideas would be great.

Louella

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How about Frugal Construction or something like that. Telling how to build solar panels, wind turbins, things like that. To where it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Explaining how to construct things. For those of us that would like to build our own things for one reason or another but are not sure of how to go about it.
Oops reread and someone has suggested it . Thanks

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Isn't crazy Beekissed? I grew up in this town and bought a house here and have been raising kids in the town schools for 20 years so I pretty much know half the town and people have changed for sure.
I was talking to someone the other day that says she hasn't cooked breakfast in years and she said lunch doesn't happen in her house either.
I know people that get fast food 4 nights a week and the rest of the time they serve frozen processed foods.
Keep in mind that all of these people I am talking about have less children than I do and are involved in outside activities less too.
The other day I ran into a couple I know and we began discussing the cost of food,supplies etc. when they mentioned how expensive laundry detergent was, I told them I make my own, its alot cheaper and I could give them the recipe, they looked at each other like I asked them to strip naked and run down the highway.
Its like that all over the place.
Its just become a way of life for people to do the minimum.
I hear you on the bread machine, I just made some bread (by hand) today and there is nothing like that smell through the kitchen.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
ticks said:
Exactley how old is this site Rob?
Um... just about a week... and I wasn't even really meaning to release it to the wild yet. :pop