Suing McDonalds

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My parents would make us go pick apples and then we would get appled with them.

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Genetics really do play a role in obesity. Not an excuse by any means. It's just that some kids can eat a lot of junk and stay skinny as a rail. Other kids can eat some junk and some healthy and get fat. I have 5 kids from 5 different sets of parents. 3 are skinny as string beans, 1 is about normal and 1 is somewhat obese. They all eat from the same trough.

I'm all for healthy school lunches. Of course I got a raise in March and now I'm 500 a year over the limit for reduced price lunches. I can't afford 12.50 a day for 5 lunches. So the kids are brown bagging it. We want the kids to eat so they get a sandwich and carrots or some other snack along with milk from the school.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We tend to have problems with what the kids bring when they brown bag it. The kids I work with are unable to pack there own lunches, so the choice has usually been made by their parent.

Last week - two different kids:

Lunch one .. two slices of plain bread, bag of chips and pudding cup.

Lunch two .. three Oreo cookies, chips and candy

Lunch three .. half a sack of cheetos, tortilla with a bit of cheese melted on it

Lunch four .. Chips, Kool-aid pack, 1 slice fried bologna

Water only for one, milk was NOT made a choice.

And then another example:

Lunch five .. yogurt, peanut butter and honey on whole grain bread (looked GOOD), fruit cup, juice box, string cheese.

This kid has a lunch like this (different stuff same quality) EVERYDAY!!!

He sits right next to cookie girl.

I could NOT make this stuff up. And they wonder why their kids are sick all of the time.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Marshmallow Man said:
Genetics really do play a role in obesity. Not an excuse by any means. It's just that some kids can eat a lot of junk and stay skinny as a rail. Other kids can eat some junk and some healthy and get fat. I have 5 kids from 5 different sets of parents. 3 are skinny as string beans, 1 is about normal and 1 is somewhat obese. They all eat from the same trough.
Thats very true, perhaps it has something to do with what mom was eating when pregnant as well.
Both my kids were chunky babies at birth - but skinny little rails now. My son (11 years old) eats more than I do generally, I don't know how he does it and I'm scared for when he reaches his teens. He's going to clean us out. :lol:

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Marshmallow Man said:
I'm all for healthy school lunches. Of course I got a raise in March and now I'm 500 a year over the limit for reduced price lunches. I can't afford 12.50 a day for 5 lunches. So the kids are brown bagging it. We want the kids to eat so they get a sandwich and carrots or some other snack along with milk from the school.
My son used to enjoy frozen peas in his lunch bag........ :gig They kept the rest of the goodies cold, and by the time lunch rolled around they had thawed out enough to eat.

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Any ideas for brown bag lunches that are healthy and not cost prohibitive are welcome. I like the green peas idea, forgot about string cheese. The lids like that stuff. We have a hard time getting the 2 youngest to eat their sandwiches. I know chips are junk food. They're better than sugar though. Yes I know the carbs turn in to sugar. However the carbs do supply some energy for a little while and are considered brain food. I'm looking for protein ideas that the kids will eat.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am lucky
Nicole's school actually offers great lunches for kids
well, u know, chicken nuggets etc but the sides are great---green beans, corn, side salads, tons of fruits in all combos

their "desserts" are very limited
brownie, choc chip cookie, tons of fruit dessert choices

I like her lunches
but she said she wants me to make lunch cause I send better things LOL

I like that--I am doing something right here cause her turkey sandwich with her cantaloupe etc makes her very happy! :)

yes genetics does play a small role in weight obviously---but knowing "your personal body and metabolism" is key to conquering.
what makes you "tick and run" etc is so important and that includes kids

and remember---kids eat "when ya aren't looking"

come to find out Nicole was eating from the pantry her "snacks" I buy like small bags of Oreo cookies etc as a treat in her lunch

so now I know....lol...and she has been stopped from that "eating at will" snacking lol

hmmmm the things kids do

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Marshmallow Man said:
Any ideas for brown bag lunches that are healthy and not cost prohibitive are welcome. I like the green peas idea, forgot about string cheese. The lids like that stuff. We have a hard time getting the 2 youngest to eat their sandwiches. I know chips are junk food. They're better than sugar though. Yes I know the carbs turn in to sugar. However the carbs do supply some energy for a little while and are considered brain food. I'm looking for protein ideas that the kids will eat.
My daughter is a picky eater as well.

For her I would often prepare some little fancy toothpicks, with tiny blocks of cheese, meat and a veggie/fruit or something. She has a little plastic tupperware sandwich box, and I'd fill it with the little toothpicks of food. She ate every one of them!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Marshmallow Man said:
There are chip and then there are chips. Pretzels, cheese nips, goldfish crackers and baked not fried chips are all good nutritionally. Whole grain crackers also give a good crunch and don't forget nuts and seeds like in the shell peanuts or sunflower seeds.

Cheese is a hit always and so is fruit IF your kids are trained to enjoy it. Some like raisins but many more like dried apples, or even dried cranberries! My little good sack lunch guy is excited when mom gives him cherry tomatoes from their own vine.

If you make your own jerky is also a good kid friendly thing to haul. How about an Easter egg? Who says that you only can decorate an egg at Easter? Write a note in crayon, dip in color and send it to school!

How about a homemade oatmeal, molasses or peanut butter cookie instead of that Twinkie. Cheaper and more nutritious. Kids love yogurt with fruit in it. Granola is also a winner every time, just leave out the candy and add real fruit bits and nuts.

Soup is also good but requires a bit more planning. I sometimes sent a thermos of chicken and stars. Easy to drink.

If you notice MOST of these suggestions need no cooling at all or are fine with just a cool pack.
Hope all of this helps.

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have one daughter that loves all fruits and most veggies. Another daughter loves all fruits and no veggies, Both boys want nothing but carbs and sugar. They will eat grapes and Cuties. Eggs, neat and cheese are a struggle. Thanks for the ideas. We want to save money but we want them to get something out of their lunches. I just get mad when their lunch sack comes home with a wasted sandwich. I hate it when food gets wasted.

Latest posts