Suing McDonalds

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
me&thegals said:
I would love to completely transform agriculture in America, but I can't. I CAN choose to buy and not to buy foods that reflect my values.

So, as is often the case, vote with your dollar.
But we can't go out and buy things like raw milk etc... so its impossible to vote with your dollar.
Come on. That's one thing you cannot buy. There are millions of other things you can buy to show support or refuse to buy to show lack of support.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Funny how there is an increase of public schools canceling recess and limiting Phy Ed classes, yet they turn about and complain about obese children... HHHMMMM :idunno
No kidding, and have you seen school lunches lately? They are nasty!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Funny how there is an increase of public schools canceling recess and limiting Phy Ed classes, yet they turn about and complain about obese children... HHHMMMM :idunno
That is one thing I really like about the school that I work for. Our school has been part of a government study on ADHD for several years although I only found out about it last year and NO body talks about it. (Probably part of the study) In addition to keeping close track of the height weight and body fat index of all of the kids they REALLY push the exercise. We have movement breaks several times during the day. Kids walk after lunch AND we have a walking club. Classrooms even have competitions sometimes on "laps walked". Lunches are even a bit better at this school. LOTS better than at the last district that I worked for where reheated french fries often WAS the vegetable choice.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Good for you FF!

There are a few good public schools out there. The last one I lucked into :cool: working for was a magnet school for Montessori and fine arts. The kids always had recess and other "movement" activities after lunch and throughout the day.

Unfortunately the lunches they served were the awful "ISD" lunches so the teachers encouraged the kids to bring their own. I'd say that about 75% of the kids did bring their own.

They also had a school veggie and herb garden and quite a few fruit and pecan trees that they got to graze from.

dagaul101

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The good old days, when pocket money was earned from doing hard manual work mowing your neighbors lawn

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Blackbird said:
That is one thing I really like about the school that I work for. Our school has been part of a government study on ADHD for several years although I only found out about it last year and NO body talks about it. (Probably part of the study) In addition to keeping close track of the height weight and body fat index of all of the kids they REALLY push the exercise. We have movement breaks several times during the day. Kids walk after lunch AND we have a walking club. Classrooms even have competitions sometimes on "laps walked". Lunches are even a bit better at this school. LOTS better than at the last district that I worked for where reheated french fries often WAS the vegetable choice.
Hmm. Our elementary school had a lap around the playground. We had a certain time of day that we all had to walk laps. I completely forgot about that. Lol.Then again, this school also made everyone buy lunch, whether you were hungry or not. I was a ritalin kid and only ever ate after school, after the ritalin wore off, so I was forced to purchase and throw away a meal every day. I hated that school for that, lol. So much better things I could have spent my daily $2 on.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Blackbird said:
I would personally be a bit ticked off if someone was keeping track of my kids weight like that. :idunno

There are very few overweight kids in our area, rural middle of nowhere, when they break for the end of the year early so the kids can help with calving and haying and things like that. The kids around here work hard compared to kids in big cities. (my kids excluded, they whine when they have to do chores or open the coop in the morning)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The thing is neither the kids nor the parents (or even the vast majority of the people who work at the school) are even aware it is happening.

It is all just a quiet bit of information gathering. The information is going into making the lunches better and the kids healthier. If they were making a point out of who is skinny and who is fat THAT would be a problem. I am pretty sure the child's name is not even used. The information is tracked by listing them as just 3rd grade girl or 1st grade boy.

There was an announcement a couple of days ago requesting the teachers select a few opinionated kids who regularly purchase hot lunch to go down and be interviewed by the "lunch staff". They are trying to find out which of the recipes they serve the kids like or hate and why. Good nutrition does no good if a kid won't eat it.