Yard Farmer
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Henrietta23 said:
abifae said:
silk is a natural uv blocker.

:)
But not necessarily backyard friendly. :/
I dunno why not. You can pick up silk shirts pretty cheap at a thrift store and then who *cares* if they get schmutzy when you're working in the yard? If sweat and water stains bug you, buy something in a loud floral print, you'll never notice 'em :)

Pat
True, if I could find 'em. We only have SA here and while I've found some deals silk shirts my size are hard to come by. I'll keep my eyes open.

willamtarker

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
There is a dark side of the sun. Therefore, other strategies for sun protection, sunscreens that absorb or block UV rays play an important role in the governance of two UV protection from the sun and tanning machines in the list of carcinogens rights. UV causes DNA damage that can lead to mutations in genes involved in the pathogenesis of skin cancer.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Funny about that, but ever since my family has been eating healthier and lots of green leafy veggies, we haven't had any sunburns that lasted more than one day and none deeply serious, no matter how long we are out in the sun.
:p
Exactly!

I am extremely fair and have had terrible burns in the past, .... but no longer. I noticed that diet help me a long time ago... but did not do it fully for me as I burned at the drop of a hat... it did increase the amount of time I could be in the sun.. but now I burn no more.

since I have been taking more antioxidants and vitamin D3 no more burns.. Its like I can get red but no pain, no itch, no blisters, no sleepless nights over it... I'm even getting some tan that never happened before.

Used tea bags placed on the face after a burn is suppose to help, but I've never tried it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
William, the skin cancer people tend to get from the sun is Basal cell carcinoma. It is the least serious type of cancer, it grows slowly and rarely spreads. It is very easy to treat.

When you DO NOT get sun, you can get Malignant melanoma instead. It is quickly spreading and deadly.

"A U.S. Navy study found that melanoma occurred more frequently in sailors who worked indoors all the time. Those who worked outdoors had the lowest incidence of melanoma. Also, most melanomas appear on parts of the body that are seldom exposed to sunlight (Arch Environ Health 1990;45:261267). Sun exposure is associated with increased survival from melanoma (J Natl Cancer Inst 2005;97:195199). Another study showed that people who had longer lifetime exposure to the sun without burning were less likely to get melanomas than those with less exposure (J Invest Dermatol 2003;120:10871093.)

The rise in skin cancers over the last 25 years parallels the rise in use of sunscreen lotions, which block vitamin D-producing UVB radiation but not cancer-causing ultraviolet A radiation (UVA). (Newer sunscreen lotions also block out UVA.) Each year there are 8,000 deaths from melanoma and 1,500 deaths from nonmelanoma (squamous and basal cell) skin cancer. Surgical excision of nonmelanoma skin cancers cures them, except in rare cases where the growth has been allowed to linger for a long time and metastasize. Dr. John Cannell, Executive Director of the Vitamin D Council, makes this point: 1,500 deaths occur each year from non-melanoma skin cancer, but 1,500 deaths occur each day from other cancers that vitamin D in optimal doses might well prevent. (The Vitamin D Council website is an excellent source of information on vitamin D.)"
http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller25.html

"New research shows higher levels of vitamin D may help improve survival for both bowel and skin cancer patients*.

The results of two studies published in the British Journal of Cancer and Journal of Clinical Oncology found people with higher levels of vitamin D - at the time they were diagnosed - were more likely to survive.

In the first study researchers from the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston followed 1017 bowel cancer patients for around nine years.

Using information about UV-B and sunlight exposure, skin type, body-mass index, and vitamin D intake from food and supplements they estimated the amount of vitamin D in patients' blood at the time of diagnosis.

The results showed that those with higher vitamin D scores after being diagnosed with cancer were 50 per cent less likely to die from the disease - compared to those with lower vitamin D score"
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/164732.php

I'll take my chances with the slow spreading cancer.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thats exactly right Wifezilla.

I got melanoma when I was 26. I was always hiding from the sun. It came in a place that was rarely exposed and where I had never had serious burns.

Melanoma is caused by a virus that can occur when your immune system is run down. It gets run down from lack of vitamin D3.

Most cancers are a virus or fungus. Those with a fully operating immune system will not get cancer. Even basel cell is a microbe of some sort. Radiation damages the skin and sets it up for microbes of various sorts to flourish which can cause cancer.

When I grew aware of the vitamin D thing and had my level checked I think I was about 29... about 3 years ago now.

I keep it up at about 70 to 90.

when I had it up to 130 95% of my psoriasis went away. I have one quarter inch spot on one knee now that has been slowly getting smaller over the last couple of years

My neighbor who is out in the sun all the time had her Vit D3 level checked and it was 11 !!! Sun exposure does not seem to have a lot to do with it for many people... there are other factors involved like age, body fat, diet, etc etc

The best product out there is Biotec Vitamin D3

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I was always hiding from the sun. It came in a place that was rarely exposed and where I had never had serious burns.
That's how we lost Abi's friend Dar. She avoided the sun and ended up with Malignant melanoma. If I remember correctly, her tumors were under her breast and on her spine. 2 areas that DID NOT see sunlight.

Melanoma is caused by a virus that can occur when your immune system is run down.
I know there is a lot of debate on this. I am not sure if it is viral. I DO believe that diet plays a huge role in cancer formation. The most important contributing factor is carbohydrate intake. Cancer cells feed on glucose and are stimulated by insulin growth factors. A high carb diet gives cancers plenty of fuel. It's like cancer fertilizer. A high carbohydrate diet also increases your body's need for vitamin C and vitamin C is what your body uses to repair skin damage due to sun exposure.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
William, the skin cancer people tend to get from the sun is Basal cell carcinoma. It is the least serious type of cancer, it grows slowly and rarely spreads. It is very easy to treat.
I know you didn't mean it this way, but this sentence came off to me as though you were almost dismissive of this cancer as being not serious. This is the cancer my family gets, and in many cases, eventually dies from. My grandfather had it removed from his body over and over again over a period of sixty years. Eventually it worked its way into his blood stream and from there into his lymph nodes. He had soft pallate removed when I was a little girl. Yes, it took a very long time, but it was a pretty miserable time at the end. All my uncles and my aunt have had carcinomas removed as well as several of my cousins, one as young as 14, when she had her first three removed. We all live on the constant look-out for new or growing moles on our bodies. We always say that cancer is an if, not a when, in our family.

That said, I have learned a great deal from this site. We knew about the Vit. D connection before. I have a cousin that worked at a university that was researching it and has kept us informed, but I didn't really personalize it as I should have until I got on here. I don't view sunscreen in quite the same light as I used to either. I'm feeling a bit more confident about this particular cancer now. Of course, what to do about the breast cancer and the non-hodgkins lymphoma, and the..... (we've got lots of cancers in our family, on one side or another - see saying above)

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Not dismissing it at all...but I do see it as a lesser of 2 evils.

My family typically does NOT get cancer. Instead, we get heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, gout, r. arthritis and Alzheimers. Of course, the cause of these is looking to be the same as cancer...a diet high in carbohydrates. Your genetics seems to determine which path of degradation your body will take when it is constantly flooded with high glucose levels and high insulin levels.

Here are a few studies you might find interesting...
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/89/1/283
http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/13/8/1283.full
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/08/040806094822.htm

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's a good thing I like veggies better than fruit. ;)

Some of the recent cancer research suggests that a lot of cancers that start in your body actually go away naturally. Yay! for good diets that support a good immune system. Now I'm going to make some mushrooms for lunch.

Latest posts