Sustainable Firstfruit's "Black Bean Chocolate Cake"

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
colowyo0809 said:
big brown horse said:
I got this recipe from PaulaJo over at BYC, she has a cool blog called Sustainable Firstfruits. I'll post the blog spot address in a sec.

This is a cake that passes all the tests that a chocolate cake must pass, in order to be made again.
I do not know where this recipe originated from. Thanks go out to whoever figured it out.

Black Bean Chocolate cake.

*Cook and cool the beans in fresh water, prior to making the cake.
(Beans may be cooled quickly by rinsing with cold water)

So, I realize this is probably a stupid question, but how do I cook these? Do I just put them on the stove until they boil, and then cool them off? Or do they have to boil or simmer for a while? Is it like making rice, where they are done when they are soft? Also, do I cook them in fresh water, or use the same water I soaked in and just cool/rinse in fresh water? :) Making the cake this morning, have had them soaking since yesterday morning :) can't wait! Thanks ya'll!

So did you get an answer?
Didn't get to chime in until now.

I used fresh water and boiled until mushy.

The DD decided the cake was even better with a touch of Hershey's syrup on it.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
colowyo0809 said:
big brown horse said:
I got this recipe from PaulaJo over at BYC, she has a cool blog called Sustainable Firstfruits. I'll post the blog spot address in a sec.

This is a cake that passes all the tests that a chocolate cake must pass, in order to be made again.
I do not know where this recipe originated from. Thanks go out to whoever figured it out.

Black Bean Chocolate cake.

*Cook and cool the beans in fresh water, prior to making the cake.
(Beans may be cooled quickly by rinsing with cold water)

So, I realize this is probably a stupid question, but how do I cook these? Do I just put them on the stove until they boil, and then cool them off? Or do they have to boil or simmer for a while? Is it like making rice, where they are done when they are soft? Also, do I cook them in fresh water, or use the same water I soaked in and just cool/rinse in fresh water? :) Making the cake this morning, have had them soaking since yesterday morning :) can't wait! Thanks ya'll!

Yeah, that's essentially what I did. However, it didn't turn out quite perfect so several things for next time:
1. soak in alot more water. didn't use enough.
2. boil longer. go with the 90 minutes instead of 60.
3. use the processor. the blender is old and stupid and leaves chunks.

other than that, it actually turned out not bad! I am going to pick up a betty crocker frosting (apparantly some are labeled gluten free!) and smear it on :D

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
other than that, it actually turned out not bad! I am going to pick up a betty crocker frosting (apparantly some are labeled gluten free!) and smear it on :D
http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/12/easiest-healthiest-most-scrmptious.html
Try this out, for frosting.
Thank you for that receipe. I will be using it to make fudge, but I have been informed that we will be using the betty crocker frosting on the cake :rolleyes: :smack

Thank you for taking time out of your (i'm sure) busy family time to post that link :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
colowyo0809 said:
FarmerJamie said:
colowyo0809 said:

Yeah, that's essentially what I did. However, it didn't turn out quite perfect so several things for next time:
1. soak in alot more water. didn't use enough.
2. boil longer. go with the 90 minutes instead of 60.
3. use the processor. the blender is old and stupid and leaves chunks.

You used our blender? :lol:

I ended up resorting to taking a fork to 'em. Also need to remember the 2:1 expansion factor for wet:dry beans. :th

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Alright a question for all of the WISE nutritionists out there.

I have a friend coming for dinner on Friday. She is a recovering cancer patient AND the most food allergic person that YOU have ever met!

This gal is allergic to turkey, beef, pork, milk, corn and LOTS of other things ... but I believe she can eat beans ... I am going to double check. If she can I want to make the Bean Cake for dessert for her.

Here is the question ....

Can I still lacto ferment the beans - using a bit of good organic yogurt as a starter... or is this going to effect her milk allergy?

I bow to your knowledge base. :bow

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Alright a question for all of the WISE nutritionists out there.

I have a friend coming for dinner on Friday. She is a recovering cancer patient AND the most food allergic person that YOU have ever met!

This gal is allergic to turkey, beef, pork, milk, corn and LOTS of other things ... but I believe she can eat beans ... I am going to double check. If she can I want to make the Bean Cake for dessert for her.

Here is the question ....

Can I still lacto ferment the beans - using a bit of good organic yogurt as a starter... or is this going to effect her milk allergy?

I bow to your knowledge base. :bow
Just soak with water and a bit of lemon juice. DO NOT use whey.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That is what I thought.

Then I got info back and beans are on her NO NO list as well!!

Cooking for this gal drives me crazy, but I love her. :D

Ideas for a dessert that is allergen friendly?

I may end up making a sorbet with just fruit and a bit of honey.