Sustainable Firstfruit's "Black Bean Chocolate Cake"

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I will have to double check on the nuts (I know she used to eat lots of raw nuts) but that recipe sounds GREAT! I have just the squash to use in it too. Thanks SO much BBH!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, I made the cake, and it turned out slightly bitter? and I could definitly taste the bean. Again, it could be because i didn't cook the beans long enough, and the blender is a real piece of work, but hmm. I will be trying again, but will wait until this weekend or something.

BB, i made that fudge reciepe and we did not like it. incredibly hard, incredibly bitter, and very coconutty. I think I used too much oil, but it's hard to tell what she means by 1/2 cup. is that using a liquid or solid measuring tool? is that 1/2 cup solid or wet?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
colowyo0809 said:
So, I made the cake, and it turned out slightly bitter? and I could definitly taste the bean. Again, it could be because i didn't cook the beans long enough, and the blender is a real piece of work, but hmm. I will be trying again, but will wait until this weekend or something.

BB, i made that fudge reciepe and we did not like it. incredibly hard, incredibly bitter, and very coconutty. I think I used too much oil, but it's hard to tell what she means by 1/2 cup. is that using a liquid or solid measuring tool? is that 1/2 cup solid or wet?
Did you eat it right away, or let it sit overnight as advised?
This makes all the difference in the world. When you bake with honey, it has to return to room temp for a period, to allow the sweetness to pervade the goods.
Next time, over cook the beans to mush. That will help puree them.

The fudge, I have no idea what happened. Its supposed to be coconutty ;)
One thing, is its very different from the usualy chocolate we Amercians are used to.
This stuff is full, dark and rich.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
colowyo0809 said:

Did you eat it right away, or let it sit overnight as advised?
This makes all the difference in the world. When you bake with honey, it has to return to room temp for a period, to allow the sweetness to pervade the goods.
Next time, over cook the beans to mush. That will help puree them.

The fudge, I have no idea what happened. Its supposed to be coconutty ;)
One thing, is its very different from the usualy chocolate we Amercians are used to.
This stuff is full, dark and rich.
I don't have to dignify that with a response :p
but even what was left over for the next day was still slightly bitter, like the day before. It wasn't a strong bitter, like the fudge, but it was enough to definitly notice. But, I freely acknowledge that I went wrong somewhere and will be trying again :) I still have beans left over, is it bad to just cook those for like 40 minutes and try again? they were part of the original 60 minute cook time.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Are you using raw, local honey? I used local sage honey, it was *too* sweet and I had to majorly cut it down.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay, got my beans soaking. I used 2 cups dried beans. Am I right in assuming that all the beans I have soaked go into the cake recipe? I'm making this tonight and trying it on hubby before I try it on anyone else. If it's good I can't wait to take it to his sister's for the next family meal. They're always expecting me to bring something strange...... :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
No, you won't use all those beans because they will expand. You will measure out the beans for the recipe once your soaking beans are fully cooked.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh lord, I'm glad I asked. My cake would have been the size of a 3-tiered wedding cake. :gig

So after I take out my 2 cups, I can put another 2 cups worth into a freezer bag for the next cake - is that right? (Or maybe 2 cakes from the looks of my bowl).

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
Oh lord, I'm glad I asked. My cake would have been the size of a 3-tiered wedding cake. :gig

So after I take out my 2 cups, I can put another 2 cups worth into a freezer bag for the next cake - is that right? (Or maybe 2 cakes from the looks of my bowl).
Well, the recipe calls for 1 and a quarter cups for an 8x8 ;)
And yes, I freeze the extra for next time. Huge time saver that way!

Latest posts