TanksHill...Roll on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
They are about 4 lbs. The cold, wet weather in May really knocked them back a bit. They're looking better now. We got like 70/30 hens to roosters. I'm not pleased with that. We have over 40 left.

Yes, a processor (*hangs head in shame*). I have no problem doing them myself, but free time is a premium around here and I live with a household of weak stomachs. You should see the shades of green when we go to my sisters to do a beef. :th
You drop them off first thing in the morning at one end of the dock, go have a relaxing breakfast and do a little shopping in a bulk foods/dry goods store, and come back about 2 hours later to them sitting on ice in your containers. Then home to package.

I hope we never get to the point where they are so hungry that they overcome their "willies" and *have* to do it. I have to do all of the first aid around here, too. :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I see your point. I have lots of free time. The trick is to turn it into money saving/earning time.

Chicken processing was big for that.

You know I never really looked at mine as hens or roos. I couldn't really tell the diff. Weird.

g

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's official.

I only have two quarts of spaghetti sauce left in my canning pantry. :barnie

I only made 54 quarts last year. Looks like I averaged more than two quarts per week. I ran out of diced tom pints a while back. :(

Most of the tomatoes came from my local farmers market. Looks like I will be heading there soon. I do have some great heirloom plants in but they won't be ready for awhile.

If TSHTF this week tomatoes would not be an option. :idunno

I had a good day for a Monday. I got a ton of laundry and house chores done.

I drove to a really fancy town about 30 min south of me and bought a pedestal table. Its for my kitchen. We had a four legged 48 inch table. Nothing but issues. Kids to close to each other, kicking feet etc...

Last night I said I was done. Sure enough I found a black 52 inch distressed(scraped paint) on Craigslist. So I made an executive decision to get it. I drove down picked it up, strapped it in, came home, had my sil help me get it in the house. Cleaned it, and put it in place.

We will see how dinner is tonight. ;)

dh didn't seem to have a problem with it. He didn't ask how much it cost though :hide

g

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Wow, G! I thought 400 pounds of tomatoes sounded like enough to get you through to next harvest! :lol:

Will you change the amount you process? Or change the end products from the tomatoes this year?

I'm just being curious.... I opened the last tomato puree tonight for pizza sauce. The last jar of diced tomatoes sits all by itself in the pantry now. I seriously hate that "last jar" feeling. And this year's harvest looks like it might be later than ever.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know for us, I HAVE to change my canning ideas. We have been out of tomato based items for MONTHS!!! I have about 6 pints of corn, and maybe 10 pints of green beans. NO other beans. and just a few pints of meats. Yeah, if the SHTF today....we would be in trouble..until harvest.
THIS year...I want 100 + of everything!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Meanwhile, I looked in the freezer today and we are almost completely out of chicken!!! :barnie

Them little poppers had better start growing and FAST!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'm out of salsa, chicken, and only have 2 tomato sauces left!

keljonma - you are just right - that last jar feeling is horrible. should you save it for a special occasion? just use it? now what!?!? ugh!

i think its safe to say that we ALL need bigger gardens!

isnt it funny that none of us want to go and buy any of this stuff? you'd think i was buying nuclear weapons based on my performance in the Mexican Food aisle. but for the record, salsa is really expensive!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol:

Sorry I am just cracking up.. I read my husband your responses. He says "have her order 100 of those chickens and then take fifty and throw some more food in the box then send them our way" :gig

My goodness he just slays me. That boys gonna be a farmer in no time.

I am trying to get him to build me a whizbang plucker. But he THINKS he can make his own. :barnie We all know how things like that turn out.

Kel, those 400 lbs of tomatoes I got were a couple years ago. They went quick. I did freeze some but canned them last year.

OFG,I need a good salsa recipe.

100 of everything. That's a good plan.

:thumbsup

g

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:barnie

New drama in my life.

Dh let my chickens out this morning. Came in told me they were out but he did not feed them. Ok. I figured they would be ok until I got down there.

Had an music performance for the 5yo at school. Worked in the garden for a bit. Watered and put DE on my veggies.

Finally made it to the coop. There was another baby turkey. Spread eagle face down on the floor. I picked it up it was still alive peeping and kicking its legs. But I instantly notice a tear on the inside of its leg. You could see everything inside. :sick It was not bleeding. And like I said it was still moving both legs.

So I grabbed it up and brought it inside. I did what any SS turkey hatch-er would do.

I laid it on it's back on the kitchen counter and Super Glued its leg back on.

:hu

I put the gel glue around the outer edge of the wound. on both the leg and groin area. Do turkeys have a groin? Anyways then I scoped it up and held it tight.

All good.

Now it's in the brooder. I stuck it's beak in the water and it drank a bit. I put it in a fabric softener box. It sat fr a few minutes then actually tried to walk out. You know the little cut out part.

So we will see how it goes. Dang those eggs are never ending.

:th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts