TanksHill...Roll on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! thats the way to get her done! whoooooot!!!!

great work!

and really - those kids are adorable! i totally want to go on the slide!!!

:)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks!! I think I will keep the kids. My son and I did the big green roller coaster together. :weee

OFG,
I kinda panicked when I was choosing the pig. I did not see them all and I didn't know which breeds were better for what. So I went with weight. Well at least with what I could afford. The lady was really nice and helped me through the process.

I just hope it turns out to be a good one.

So, can I ask if you have an average dollar per pound amount on the ones you raise? I know with gleaning and scraps it would probably a lot cheaper to raise one. Hopefully I can some day. Just wondering if this was cost effective.

Oh then there is the ordering from the butcher. I am definitely going to ask for the fat. I want to make the lard. But other than that I am really interested in some basic stuff nothing fancy. Med cut bacon, so I get a bit more.... Lots of sausage.

Can you think of anything else???? or anything I should know?

g

Too Funny!!! I was google ing info on hog pens and look what came up.
http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-grow-out-feeder-pigs-on-cheap.html

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Bacon? Did somebody say bacon????? Where's the bacon!?!?!?!?

Make sure you get all the stuff that can go into soups and stews, and ask for the jowls, too. I had bacon made with mine, but it could go into sausage, too.

I love pork roasts. We made mostly roasts. That way I can cook up a lot of meat when I turn that oven on and I have that HUGE cast iron Dutch oven that some lovely, wonderful person here sent to me. I love leftovers, and slow-cooked roasts of any type are always better the next day. You should see dh's face light up when I tell him there is enough for him to make a sandwich for lunch! :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, its been a while since I posted on my journal.

Lets see....

Here are the Freedom Rangers. They only spent 4 days in the kiddie pool then started jumping out. I just got rid of the pool all together. They are doing very well. I still use the infrared light at night. They were born the 29th so their not even 2 weeks yet.
IMG_3218.jpg

Garden is doing well.
Corn is growing tall, I picked my first yellow squash yesterday and the melon vines are stretching out. :woot
IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3220.jpg

This is my cat sleeping in the early morning sun. :love On my ironing board. :p
IMAG0256.jpg

Yesterday my son tried to pry apart Lego's with his pocket knife. Yeah, that did not turn out to well. He ended up slicing open his left index finger. :sick We had to go for some stitches. He was truly mortified and knew he had made a very bad choice. I think the Betadine reinforced that. He said it felt like hot sauce on his cut. Poor kid.

So did I mention steam is a wonderful thing??? I wanted to call a company to steam clean my tile floor. Someone suggested I check out the kind you can buy. I did some research and read some reviews. I ended up buying a Wagner Power steamer. Wow!!! :ep Does that thing work awesome!! The first night I steam cleaned all the grout in my master bath. Today I did th guest bathroom, white grout. Not a good choice. It cleaned up well. Now I am working on the stuck on gunk on my stove. :hide It's taking a bit but coming clean. I do love this thing.

Well I just sat down to rest a minute and let the steamer cool down. Time for a water refill and more cleaning. Fun, fun, fun!!! :sick

g

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
glad you love that steam cleaner! :)

ow on that cut, bet that was nasty and no kid would like that cut with stitches..glad all is good.

you sound busy, slow down a bit gal lol

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Your garden looks great. My cat loves to sleep on the ironing board too. I always have to clean his black hair off, before I iron :rolleyes:

Our zucchini are in. They were slow to grow at first, but now we are inundated. SO just pplanted two more holes. We found if we stagger plant them, we can sometimes have them grow to November, unless we have a nasty frost.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks Karen. Weekends are always a bit busy. During the week while the kids are out and dh is working I have my down time. Nice a quiet then. :)

Yes Denise. I have been trying to stagger my plantings as well. We lost the first squash planting because of the turkeys. Last year they were in another area. This year they ate everything. So this second planting is all I have for now. I am on my 3rd and 4th plantings of carrots. I usually do a 4 foot square. Green beans are up again. I just hope we all make it through the Sept heat.

Year round veggies would be wonderful.

g

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I once tried to peel an orange with a butcher knife (I was about 8) boy did my thumb bleed! That could have been very serious. I hope your son is okay.

Your new Freedom Rangers and the garden are looking terrific, G!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
hope your son is Ok.

Congrats on Pork Chop! I think he DOES look like he's smiling - he doesn't realize how delicious he looks! probably dreaming of a mud !

The freedom rangers look nice and your garden is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts