TanksHill...Roll on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wow that egg is a beauty! What are you gonna do with it?

I am still hoping to buy my Thanksgiving bird from you ya know.....no pressure though! :gig

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:frow

Tankshill, CONGRATS on the turkey egg & may you have many more. I hope your tom gets the idea......... ;)

I am inundated with chicken eggs at the moment & I have a whole bunch of pullets coming up to point of lay. Luckily I have asked around & found some customers for any surplus eggs I have.....good news as it will help pay for the feed ( this is shooting up all the time & all set to go higher).

Good luck..!! :D

Hattie

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank yo all!!!

I am not sure what to do with it. My cousin says leave the till I have a clutch. Not sure if that's the right terminology. But I don't think I have seen my Tom do his business more than one time. But I don't sit around watching either. :p I need to get my Storey's book out and do some reading.

The only thing I am wondering is if I should just leave them all in the same house. She laid the egg in a chicken box. I know and have read about Blackhead disease. I don't think it's an issue here.

One question though, if I try to let a broody chicken set the eggs. Should I put her on just turkey eggs or slip in a few chicken as well after the firs 7 days. I would hate for the hen to abandon the nest half way through.

Uggg the joys of parenting.

Dace, If my tom does not step up to the plate you can have him for Thanksgiving.

Hattie, I am only getting about a dozen eggs a day but still manage to sell 2 dozen per week. The little bit of money sure helps. If I had a hundred chickens I could probably sell all the eggs.

g

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
He doesn't need to do it often to get fertile eggs... just a couple-few times per week is adequate, and even less often will still give you *some* chance of fertile eggs.

OTOH if this is her first egg of the season I do not think I'd personally save it in hopes of a clutch, since even if it is fertile there is a pretty good chance you won't get many more within the next week or ten days so it would be an awfully tiny setting. If you wait a few weeks or a month more she should be crankin' 'em out on a much more frequent basis, and you will have been able to break open the earlier ones to see if they were fertile, and THEN maybe do a setting or hope she goes broody.

I have had real good luck having a few chicks (intentionally) hatched with the poults, to help them learn to eat and drink... so IMHO there is a whole lot to be said for what you suggest about adding some chicken eggs around day 7. The only thing is, then you end up with one or just a few chicken chicks that eventually may need to be split off from the poults (when the size difference gets too great) and you'd want to have a plan what to do wwith them then.

Where the eggs are laid does not have anything to do with blackhead. If your chickens and turkeys are sharing the same (or adjacent) ground, then your blackhead risk is "whatever it is", irrespective of who lays where or who roosts where. Unless you KNOW blackhead is common in your area, I wouldn't worry about it unless someone actually gets sick; if it IS common in your area, you probably have to figure that you are on borrowed time in terms of the two species cohabitating or being closely adjacent.

Congrats on the turkey egg... if you do decide to eat it, consider using it for pastamaking or in meatloaf or something like that, as the yolks are SUPER thick and make an excellent binder.

Pat

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
If it was mine I would eat it simply fried with a bit of salt. Just so I would know how they taste. I agree I would wait on a clutch till they are laying fast and furious. You might want to invest in an incubator. Them turkey poults are VALUABLE. We pay about $5 to $8 EACH locally. Especially the heritage ones.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I have been slowly substituing in GF products into the family diet. Is it possible to get headaches from GF withdrawls?? Cause yesterday was it. Maybe the heat I don't know. But most of us had headaches.
I have made GF slicing bread for sandwhiches. DD ate it 1 day and complained. So for school lunches she has been taking rice cakes with either cream cheese or p nut butter. I made some GF bananna bread. That Bob's Red mill works prety well.
Yes, in fact you will see this alot as you go totally gluten free. It takes (i'm trying to remember but I could be off on my figures) roughly two weeks for most of the gluten to work it's way out of your system but can take up to 6 months for all of the gluten to work out. This of course varies with each person but I believe those numbers are about right. Gluten withdrawls are alot like other addiction withdrawls. You can get headaches, cramping, etc. But, as long as you stick with it, you will start to see a difference :) I know I have. Bear in mind though, once you go gluten free totally you will know when you've had it again. It's not pleasant, so it's well worth either making more meals from raw whole foods, or really reading the labels on everything you buy prepared. :) Good luck! The GF bread is really sort of a hit and miss thing as well I've noticed :)

BTW, thats cool on the turkey egg! i want to start raising turkeys, and that will be cool to see sometime!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks you guys.

I think I will wait until both of my turkey hens start laying before even considering a hatch.

This one will be eaten by me and the kids I am sure. :D

FF I paid 15 dollars each for my poults. I am sure I would have no problem selling them.

The whole incubator thing kind of freaks me out. I have never used one or even bought chicks for that matter. The youngest chicken I ever bought was around 4 weeks old. The humidity factor seems a bit complex.

The GF diet is going well. I made GF meatloaf (gf breadcrumbs), stew w/ gf biscuits and tonight we are going to do the baked cod again. I toss that with egg then roll it in a mix of almond meal and parmesan. Yum!!! DD is doing well. I think the rest of us eat gluten in some way through the day. :hide

Well I'm off to try and get some chores done. I'll be back.

g

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
It is no more difficult that any other thing that you have learned. I say go for it! Even if you just start out with a cheapy Little Giant and an egg turner it is exciting!

Join the hillbillies! Try using some corn meal on that fish!

I have been rolling mine in either rice flour or corn flour, then egg, the cornmeal or your almond meal. Makes a nice crunchy coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.