Television

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
One of the best decisions we ever made was to get tv out of the house! May 1st it will be 7 years since we've had hook up to one.

For a while we used it to watch videos and dvds. But now just dvds on the 'puter.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Been 23 years for me and my brood. Well, we did do a 3 month contract in Rhode Island and had to have cable if we wanted phone~so, technically, we had 3 months of "real" TV once~in 23 years! :lol:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Wish I could do that. I did live without tv, almost, when I lived by myself. No cable or anything. I was only able to get a couple of channels and they didn't come in very well. I only used it to "watch" special news after hearing about it on the radio. That's how I watched the plane hitting the Twin Towers on 9/11.
I prefer to listen to music and/or read. I think tv is usually a waste of time. You can get most of the better shows on DVD through some sort of rental. At least I have found many of the shows I like on dvd. Then I can watch them, when it is convenient for me. And it feels more like reading a book.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well now that ER is done I really feel there is not much on TV & I would love to shut it off compleatly. Just buy the dvds of tv shows we like & rent from redbox. But dh says NO!! he loves his tv!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Mine will have withdrawal, for sure. Luckily the date of the transition was moved to June, so he will be too busy by then to fully comprehend his new situation. :lol:

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Funny thing is a few yrs ago it was not a problem when we would go to our property up north(no elec, no reception), no TV wasn't a problem, we played cards, yahtzee & other board games every night. Now we have to take the little tv/dvd player with us(although it comes in handy for the trip there & back with the kids) a battery for it so we can watch movies every day. I love just having the radio up there & nothing else. Now he goes thru withdrawls!! :barnie

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am a self-confessed TV-aholic, but virtually nothing I watch is on the commercial network channels. My TV lives on Discovery, TLC, HGTV (Home & Garden Television), etc. I've always been interested in science and nature and these channels feed my thirst for knowledge. I would definitely go through withdrawal without my TV fix.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm with you, SheriM. We watch a small handful of shows, recorded and ff through the commercials. The rest is science, nature, hgtv, history, food network (dh trying to give me ideas...) Some old shows on tvland when I am working in the kitchen.

I no longer watch anything that will stimulate stress hormones (violent shows, disaster flicks, etc), or anything that revolves around illicit sex, etc. That eliminates most tv and movies.

When we go out and leave the dog home, I leave hgtv on to block noises and keep him from barking. It has such happy sounds, no fighting or sirens or barking dogs. Just "isn't this fun! whimsical! You can do it! So easy!"

I keep hoping I'll come home and he will have re-done the kitchen. So far, the most he's done to decorate is rearrange a few cushions and a blanket throw! :rolleyes: