Television

CARS

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
CARS said:
Wifezilla said:
If you want to get technical, you could say the same thing about reading.
or sitting at your computer :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Hippocratic!
Hippocratic is an oath that doctors take (or used to take). Maybe you were wanting to use the term hypocrite.
Yes. Spell check only works if you spell a word wrong, not if you use the wrong word :/

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
:yuckyuck And here I was thinking it was an inside joke that I just didn't get!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I read every night. Usually with the TV on...LOL

TV is like anything else. It is what YOU make of it. It isn't some evil alien creature trying to take over your mind.

Same with the internet or any other non-living thing.

Not watching TV doesn't make you better, smarter or more creative than tv junkies like me. Watching TV doesn't make me better than anyone else either. It is just one of many activities I can choose or not choose to engage in on any given day. I can use it to get information, to learn something, or just for some fun escapism....like when I watch Heros :D

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I grew up in a noisy large household and TV is background chatter. :p

solarkate

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Why? Reading is proven to expand the imagination, and to enhance general knowledge and comprehension. TV doesn't require thought. :/

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
so temporarily back to the subject at hand.

We decided to get rid of cable..at least until football season ^_^ so that we could have $60, yes $60 more dollars a month to pay off our debt, which we expect to do quickly because we are getting rid of all non essentials in our life until the debt is paid off. It feels great btw.

I don't feel that TV is evil, or wrong, but I do feel that much of it is total crap. I avoid that crap. I'm a big enough girl that I can make that decision for myself. Like many people on this topic, my favorite channels are discovery, HGTV, DIY, History Channel, Military Channel, National Geographic channel etc.

So we decided to get rid of the cable and were talking about doing it when the cupons for the converter boxes came in. That day they came in the mail. We paid $10 extra for the converter box, and I think $30 for the digital antennae (sp?)

So to sum it up, that was a one time payment of $40 in order to get at least $300 worth of bills paid. It was worth it to me. :D

btw it wouln't behoove me to live here in Oklahoma and not have any TV for weather coverage during storm season. :hide

WannaGoToMaine

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, I confess. I love tv. I do however think I could easily live without it. I would just watch online. Hehe. I am all about free tv like hulu and all the networks sites. I get it for practically free here once i pay the phone and internet so, we keep it. Maybe someday we will dump it. I sure hope so. I can't live without my internet tho!

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our TV here is about to change analogue to digital I think that's what you mean? We have 1 new TV so that's already changed to digital, oh and the TV in the gym that's digital too.

But the one upstairs is older and we will need to get a set top box for it.

We actually don't watch that much maybe a few hours a week, but sometimes the kids like to watch a different thing, one is sports mad the other likes comedy so will watch seperate shows once in a blue moon.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
solarkate said:
Wifezilla said:
Why? Reading is proven to expand the imagination, and to enhance general knowledge and comprehension. TV doesn't require thought. :/
Hmm...hadn't read this thread in a while.

While TV doesn't require thought at that moment maybe, it sure can require tons of thought regarding a certain science or subject.....maybe making the next great inventor or "something" for the future.

And while reading is great (I am a reader) it sure doesn't illustrate in your face info like TV. So who reads the technical books, like MD books on cancer, MD books on the immune system (the 500,000 page manuals) on specifics.....at least TV can maybe motivate to learn more vs. something you might never read about.

But yes, there are tons of shows to just laught at and enjoy and just takes no thought....yea I like alot of those..HA HA

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Reading expands the imagination, but is that always a good thing? Books can cause crazes and "zombie"-like addiction as much as anything else (thinking of a neighborhood 14 year old who dresses like a vampire thanks to her love of the Twilight series).

Don't get me wrong -- I adore books. Some people are just more prone to being followers and are maleable by any kind of media. All things in moderation!!

Inchy