Television

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Like anything, TV is what you make of it. I told hubby since he never takes me anywhere (unless I plan everything out and handle ALL details) cable is NOT a luxury.

Discovery Channel, Fox News, BBC America, Comedy Central, History Channel.... we used to do pay per view movies, but that is too expensive now. We use Redbox instead.

My son watches Disney ALL the time. (He's 19 and VERY autistic. It makes him happy, so who am I to argue :D )

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I no longer watch anything that will stimulate stress hormones (violent shows, disaster flicks, etc), or anything that revolves around illicit sex, etc. That eliminates most tv and movies.
:gig That's for sure
We've been going that route also. Who needs more stress? Trying to make ends meet is enough for me. Worrying about a hawk attacking my chickens or if the wind is going to blow our homemade plastic covered greenhouse to kingdom come. Now those are real concerns for me.
I don't need to watch a show at night that is going to keep me awake.
I also think those shows where people purposely put themselves in stupidly dangerous situations and then have it filmed is ...well...stupid. I don't need to watch stupid.
I do like Discovery, HGTV and those type of stations. But even those get repetitive, occasionally violent and boring. Who has heard enough about 12/2012 doomsday shows? I have. But I'm sure there'll be alot more in the next few years.

freemotion, let me know if it works on your dog. Mine is good at spreading stuffing all over the floor, makes it fluffier :rolleyes:, but I haven't had her watch much HGTV on her own.

edited for spellling.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
From his perspective, I'm sure, his decorating ideas are marvelous! :rolleyes: His ideas mainly consist of moving or creating beds for himself, he prefers two or three in each room, and likes to have some variety in his life by rearranging them periodically.

There's a name for that.....what is it.....when they take items from the person's home and completely redecorate a room just using stuff the homeowner already has....can't think of the word, but those must be the shows he likes best! :lol:

CARS

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Who has heard enough about 12/2012 doomsday shows? I have. But I'm sure there'll be alot more in the next few years.
Your not a believer? The poles are going to shift, it will be right after the next election, climate change, failing economy.... need I say more?

We'll just have to wait and see. But I do think that more and more people are trying to be more sufficient because of my above examples. Which is always a good thing.

BTW: I am watching T.V. as I type this :lol: (got to stay on subject) It's a show about the evolution of the automobile.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Oh, I belive we're in for major changes. The signs have been there for a while. The world may come to an end as we know, it already has.
But I don't need to watch shows over and over that paint the absolutely gloomiest pictures. Because if they were the truth, then why even bother?
I rather watch shows that suggest or demonstrate how we could make this change something positive. And really, who is to say that the signs that are referred to in these shows aren't trying to tell us that the old ways may be over, but we are in for new and hopefully new beginnings. Can't we have a positive twist on it? It's all doom and gloom.
I wonder if there is a survey of positive shows vs negative shows (including any violence [especially showing blood spatterings], doomsday, illicit sex or more sexual content than neccessary to get the point across). In my oppinion there are way more negative shows.
How many of you would like a show about being self sufficient or farming, farmers markets, growing organic, raising different livestock, backyard gardens, making your own household products, etc on a regular basis.?
If we can have a guy go around doing "the dirtiest jobs", why can't we have shows about living off the land?

CARS

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
How many of you would like a show about being self sufficient or farming, farmers markets, growing organic, raising different livestock, backyard gardens, making your own household products, etc on a regular basis.?
If we can have a guy go around doing "the dirtiest jobs", why can't we have shows about living off the land?
Do you get the Planet Green channel? It's all about being resourceful, eating better, living better, and recycling alot of stuff.

I hate my T.V. bill every month but channels like Planet Green and the Discovery channels make it priceless.

As I am writing this I am watching the Military Channel. They are discussing the evolution of the jet airplane. Fun stuff!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would have someone tape that show for me! :clap But then, I'd probably get disgusted when they kept showing SS lifestyles that were funded by a million dollar investment with all the bells and whistles of off grid energy sources and I would say "Where are the REAL people?" :hu

CARS

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I would have someone tape that show for me! :clap But then, I'd probably get disgusted when they kept showing SS lifestyles that were funded by a million dollar investment with all the bells and whistles of off grid energy sources and I would say "Where are the REAL people?" :hu
Your right. Alot of it is over the top but I have learned to take what I can and apply it to my lifestyle.

Roof tops full of solar panels and automatically controlled irrigation systems that are connected to the National Weather Service are a couple examples of extremes. I now understand solar a little more and installing drip irrigation (without internet connections) looks easy! All at a much, much smaller scale. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
CARS said:
Oh btw: What is "tape"??? I'm kidding but I haven't touched a VCR in 5 years. DVD, PPV, and DVR!!!!
If I had my way about it, I would still be turning vinyl on the turntable for music....now that's real! :old

And, no, I'm not an oldster(Quail thought I was old enough to be her mom! :ep )....I was just raised in another world....off-grid and very old-fashioned. :p

I still listen to AM! :lol: