The Bread Thread!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
The recipe we use only calls for 1/2 cup oil and makes a huge batch of bread. Bread is only sticky if you don't add and knead in the right amount of flour, IME. Personally, I like my dough just a tad sticky as I think it makes for a softer, less crumbly bread in the end.

Texture has a lot to do with just how much a bread is kneaded, though I'm sure the other factors weigh in. I've just noticed that my bread has a finer texture(same recipe we've used for years)when I'm not in a hurry and take the time to knead it more.
Right. This is where measuring by volume lets you down. Add half of the flour first, then water, yeast, and salt---makes it easier to ensure that the yeast and salt are mixed throughout. Then add most of the remaining flour. But reserve some and add it as you're kneeding. Add flour until it isn't sticky. Sometimes you might have to add a lot more than you expect. If it bothers you, weigh out the flour first.

I've never found bread to be terribly picky about how or how long its kneeded. There are differences, but the variation doesn't bother me.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mmmm bread. I used to make 4 loaves every weekend to get us through the week. I've been so busy I haven't done it in about 6 months. I got a book for christmas a few years ago... By Peter reinheardt or somebody. He has a special technic for getting 100% whole grains to rise well. It involves letting half the dough (with certain ingredients) sit on the counter overnight. The other half with yeast and other ingredients sits in the fridge overnight. It works pretty well if you're dead set on whole grains. It doesn't rise like all-bread flour, but it was much better than the whole wheat bricks that were my first whole grain attempts. :D

I like mixing seeds into the dough. I also played around a lot with spelt flour. Whole wheat uses lots of water, spelt a little goes a long way. I found that the spelt was too crumbly. I thought, "well lemme try taking the fat out since shortbread is crumbly is has lots of fat in it.". It worked for the spelt, I haven't tried changing how "short" my other loaves are.

The 2 different doughs make a great bread but was too labor intensive for me when I work full time. I like to use a recipe with whole wheat flour, spelt flour, and I cheat by using a little bread flour. It's so good.

Being on batteries, I don't use a bread machine. I like using my sister's when I'm at her house though. But kneading dough is one of my favorite things to do. Now that it's winter I can start making bread again. :)

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Crumbly bread can also result from using "soft" wheat flour (like all purpose flour) with low gluten. Hard red wheat makes a loaf with a good crumb. The soft wheats have their place, but they are not the best for bread baking.

I make 1 loaf a week now. There are only three of us at home, and the other two are not crazy about bread. I -am- crazy about bread, but I only eat a slice a day, otherwise I will gain weight from it. Alas.

I use my bread maker to knead it, but I know how to knead bread perfectly well. I have a wheat grinder too, but I've used it so much that I need to replace the grinders--the wheat is coming out coarse and I have to grind it a second time, which is irritating. Lately I've been buying ready ground flour instead, but the bread has still been good.

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:drool Love this thead already! I do make my own bread. For a while I was just using the machine... So easy, all one pan, no clean up, no wiping down counters before hand or after... Don't even have to clean the pan it cooks in... Then stupid me :he added butter to an over filled pan and it spilled over. my knead cycle just isn't the same. :(

I make a basic white bread for sandwiches. A nummy bread roll that has landed me with roll duty for all family gatherings... cinnamon rolls that I am now REALLY craving... hamburger buns...

I really would like some recipes! Someone mentioned sourdough? I'd love a starter recipe... Anyone have french bread recipes or techniques?

I just tried a butternut squash bread braid that was FANTASTIC!! I love being able to sneak in vegetables. My SIL made it for thanksgiving and didn't tell anyone the secret ingredient until after dinner. I had to get the recipe, so soft and really moist! I'm actually trying out a different one right now and OH! It's ready! I made two loafs and with what was supposed to be a third hot dog buns and rolls. here goes!!

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When we go grocery shopping again next week, I will pick up some more bread flour. Like I said... I used to make bread all the time and hubs never complained... but then he did. LOL I guess we will see if he still complains after I switch to bread flour. If he does... I'm just going to call him a whiner and tell him to suck it up. :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bread flour is definately better! I use it exclusively for all my breadmaking. The other types of flour just don't cut it with loaves. I use regular flour too, for biscuits, pancakes, and such, and that was my mistake the other day that turned out some really funky sandwich bread. The birds liked it. :p

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well... I guess we will go back with the bread flour, even thou it's a little bit more expensive. But not as expensive as a loaf of bread! :p I have a couple of sacks of AP flour as well.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Well... I guess we will go back with the bread flour, even thou it's a little bit more expensive. But not as expensive as a loaf of bread! :p I have a couple of sacks of AP flour as well.
All it is is more gluten in the flour. You can use AP and buy gluten to put in it, or just buy the bread flour with it in there. I don't think there is much cost difference either way...though I haven't really crunched the numbers to find out. With all my list of "to do's" I'd rather just buy what has it in there and skip the step of adding it myself ;)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
When we go grocery shopping again next week, I will pick up some more bread flour. Like I said... I used to make bread all the time and hubs never complained... but then he did. LOL I guess we will see if he still complains after I switch to bread flour. If he does... I'm just going to call him a whiner and tell him to suck it up. :lol:
Right on. In my house, we eat whatever the cook gives us!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
When I have made bread before, I have made it with all purpose. Maybe I should use bread flour, we got a big bag at sams club our last visit.........