The Bread Thread!

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We bought our yeast at Sams club. It was 2 GIANT packs for like $5 I think it was. We've had it for like 2 years now! I'm going to have to get another giant pack here before too long tho.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes! That's the yeast to which I'm referring. No matter how long I keep it(in the freezer, BTW)it seems to work and work very well.

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've made bread by hand for 30 years...this year I got the book Artisan Bread in 5 Min a Day. Boule bread-OMG that stuff is so good! No kneading, no rising, and you can keep the dough for up to two weeks in the fridge. ( i put it in the back room which is mighty chilly) I take a hunk whenever I want fresh bread. It also makes the best pizza crust! There is a recipe using the same technique for brioche and it makes the best cinnamon rolls and carmel pecan rolls. I hardly ever make conventional bread anymore. :celebrate

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
peteyfoozer said:
I've made bread by hand for 30 years...this year I got the book Artisan Bread in 5 Min a Day. Boule bread-OMG that stuff is so good! No kneading, no rising, and you can keep the dough for up to two weeks in the fridge. ( i put it in the back room which is mighty chilly) I take a hunk whenever I want fresh bread. It also makes the best pizza crust! There is a recipe using the same technique for brioche and it makes the best cinnamon rolls and carmel pecan rolls. I hardly ever make conventional bread anymore. :celebrate
Tried that a while back. I ended up using the oven a lot, so i went back to loaves... itll mold eventually, but it takes over a month.

GhostRider65

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have an awesome bread recipe was my great Grandma's best bread, she made it every couple days, her house always smelled so good.
please remember this old fashioned neaded by hand bread Not sure how it will turn out if you use a mixer or some other way of doing it. but its so mouth watering yummy, it's so worth it.
This recipe makes 5 large loaves, or 4 big loaves and a small glass pan, plus a smouse? my moms word, loaf.

First off grab 3 potato's medium to large size, peal, cook till tender, and drain, use extra water and reserve it for the bread, you will need 2 cups of the potato. water later.
mash the taters.
In a glass bowl add a 1/3 cup sugar, 1 cup warm water and 3 packages of dry yeast.

in another very large bowl, add a 1/2 cup old time Lard, do not use crisco........! softened, 3 tbls salt, and 1 large egg and your mashed potato's, Mix up a bit to incorporate egg.
I mash mine before adding them but you could just mash em in the big bowl with the lard and egg.

In a 4 cup glass measuring cup add your 2 cups hot potato water and 2 cups cold milk. this should make it the right temp so you don't kill the yeast.

In your very big bowl add 5 cups flour 1 cup at a time so no lumps, I have used either bread flour or all purpose, (if using bread flour, decrease the yeast by 1 package.)
add your yeast mixture, and milk tater water mixture to the bowl, and mix with a big wooden spoon, then by hand once it gets to thick. Keep adding flour until it feels right/ looks right, turn out on a flat floured surface, and knead in any remaining flour until you can't kneed in any more and its nice and elastic. ( I keep adding flour until it quits sticking to my counter and hands that's usually about right, and is anywhere between 5 to 7 more cups of flour, it always varies depending on humidity.)
Place in a lightly oiled large bowl covered with a light towel and let double, punch down, re knead and form your loaves. place in your greased bread pans, cover again and let rise, preheat oven when almost high enough, to 350 degree's. Bake 30 minutes or so, butter tops release from pan and cool on a rack. eat hot warm or cold ......the best yummiest bread ever.........
recipe at a glance for those copy and pasters, who are old hands at home made bread...

Peel and boil 3 large potato's, reserve 2 cups water, and mash them.

3 packages dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/3 cup sugar
set aside to proof your yeast

3 tablespoons salt
1/2 cup lard
2 cups reserved potato water
2 cups cold milk
1 large egg
5 cups flour
add anywhere between 5 to 7 more cups of flour as you go.
If anyone tries this in a mixer let me know how it turns out. enjoy ....Kim

the1honeycomb

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Made my first Whole Wheat bread and rolls today # loaves and a dozen Rolls:woot
used honey no sugar and it turned out great!!
:celebrate
Had dinner rolls fresh ou t of the oven!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Doesn't that have an incredibly deep feeling? No matter how many times I make bread I always feel a deep attachment to generations of women who have done the same, made the same motions, smelled that same smell and had the satisfaction of a tasty, pretty loaf come out of that oven. I love the whole experience of making my own breads!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't wait to be done with school and have the time to make my pizza again. That crust, loaded up with sauce, extra cheese, pepperoni and sauteed mushrooms UNDER the cheese... To slobber over. :D

LilacSpring

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am interested in making my own bread. What is the best bread maker to purchase these days?:hu Or is it best to do it the old fashioned way.... by hand.

I have never made bread so this is a new experience for me. Help!!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make bread pretty often, and have never had a breadmaker. Check out some of the "no knead" recipes. Easy as.....bread! :p